The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honest Thief

Liam Neeson playing a shit Liam Neeson in a shit film where worryingly Liam Neeson is the best actor even though he’s shit

4/10
After Life in which Christina ricci spends half the movie wandering around totally nude to detract attention from Liam Neeson's shit acting 😳

Oh what? Have you not seen Angels with Dirty Faces or White Heat? Get them watched.

I take it that those are a good watch then?

Ive always steered clear from Cagney just felt never worth effort to watch. Only watched Run For Cover because I was having my tea and couldn’t be bothered to switch channels.

A Lonely Place To Die. 2011. 3/10.

Climbers in Northern Scotland find a kidnap victim stashed in an underground chamber. Waddyamean “do the bad guys turn up”? Waddyamean “does the pursuit end up in the middle of a carnival/parade thingy?” Are you daft?
Amazing scenery.
Twas obviously a good idea but loses its way and becomes a different film. First 20-30 mins seem from a different script. Main lass is fit as owt. Nee idea who any of em are but the lead bad guy always takes a good part.
Dinnit bother.

Greenland - daft end of the world malarkey with Gerard Butler and the lass out of Gotham. Quite good to be honest, probably 30mins too short as it seemed a rush to finish. 6/10

Been on a Gene Tierney binge
Laura - bit weird seeing a young Vincent Price
Where The Sidewalk Ends
Both fantastic!
Gene Tierney is one of my favourites. Have you watched her in Leave her to Heaven? She is brilliant.

Angels with Dirty Faces has been breaking my heart for nearly 50 years. I'm such a soft touch now I daren't watch it. I'd just end up as a puddled heap on the living room floor.
I recently rewatched this and Cagney's acting was so electric, and his delivery so fast. I'd quite forgotten. And as for the ending...that I keep changing my mind about it is testament to what a good film it was.
I take it that those are a good watch then?

Ive always steered clear from Cagney just felt never worth effort to watch. Only watched Run For Cover because I was having my tea and couldn’t be bothered to switch channels.
I think because of the clichés around his catchphrases the fact that he was such a good actor gets forgotten. He's at his best in Angels, and White Heat is a lot of fun. The Roaring Twenties is also a good watch.

Gene Tierney is one of my favourites. Have you watched her in Leave her to Heaven? She is brilliant.

I recently rewatched this and Cagney's acting was so electric, and his delivery so fast. I'd quite forgotten. And as for the ending...that I keep changing my mind about it is testament to what a good film it was.

I think because of the clichés around his catchphrases the fact that he was such a good actor gets forgotten. He's at his best in Angels, and White Heat is a lot of fun. The Roaring Twenties is also a good watch.
I remember sitting with my dad watching and him telling me about going to the pictures and the Dead End Kids films.

I know people who refuse to watch black and white films. Philistines.

I remember sitting with my dad watching and him telling me about going to the pictures and the Dead End Kids films.

Dead End Kids were great. Yeah, my Dad loved Cagney too. I read recently that Leo Gorcey, the kid with the hat, apparently threw Cagney off by ad libbing during a scene. Cagney took him aside and punched him and it never happened again. 😀

Quad (2020) Based on the true story of Adam Niskar who was hard partying salesman who became a quadriplegic after diving head first into three feet of water. Aaron Paul gives a fantastic performance as Niskar. Quite a inspirational film to watch. 8/10

Godmothered (2020) Trainee Godmother tracks down an adult who as a young girl prayer for help was ignored. Quite a funny family film. Nice feel good film to get into the Christmas spirit. 8/10

I haven’t got a problem with black and white films, Hitchcock, Buster Crabbe, Wayne, Chaplin, etc. I just cannot explain why I’ve avoided Cagney films until now.

Never too old to discover past legends.

Tenet

Fuck me man Nolan. Head battered! Made inception and interstellar look like nursery rhymes man.

Good
Pattison
Brannagh
Soundtrack/score
Cinematography

Bad
Washington - gash
Sound first 20 minutes - couldn’t understand a Word.
Story - too ambitious. Way way too complicated to follow smoothly.

6/10. Worst Nolan film.

I haven’t got a problem with black and white films, Hitchcock, Buster Crabbe, Wayne, Chaplin, etc. I just cannot explain why I’ve avoided Cagney films until now.

If you get the chance watch a film called Ragtime. You’ll see an older Cagney in a very good film.

Footlight Parade is superb imo. Might give it a rewatch over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back