The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Terminator Dark Fate. Just another excuse to milk an over bloated cash cow. Plot holes big enough to drive a tank through. 2/10

A Night To Remember (1958). The film which inspired James Cameron to make Titantic. In my opinion this is a far better film than the Cameron version. Strong cast and the lack of a soundtrack adds to the tense atmosphere. 9/10

Sergeant York (1941). Quite an interesting film to watch. Gary Cooper portraying Alvin York a religious pacifist who went onto become a hero during WWI. York apparently refused plenty of offers to have his life story told unless Gary Cooper played him. 7/10

There's a few canny films on the IPlayer at the moment and I've been working my way through over the last week (even though I've seen some before).

Molly's Game - Very interesting story based on the book by Molly Bloom who ran some of the highest stakes exclusive poker games in the world in the mid 2000's. Jessica Chastain is great in the lead role and Idris Elba is very good as her lawyer. A quick mention for Michael Cera who is very believable as a horrible entitled twat of a celebrity who enjoys the misfortune of others and seemingly thrives on belittling them (Player X in the film is Tobey Maguire in the book). 8/10

Sully - Cracking film, this is an amazing true story and the bloke is a hero. Brilliantly played by Hanx as usual. Aaron Eckhardt also playing his part well. 8/10

The Zodiac - Based on the book by Robert Graysmith on his part in the story of the Zodiac killer. Well told, it's an enjoyable thriller by David Fincher and the 3 main actors (Gyllenhaal, Downey Jr and Ruffalo) are all good as usual. 7/10

I Tonya - A biographical story of Tonya Harding told in a darkly comic way. I thought it was fantastic. It's obvious why Allison Janney won an Oscar for her role is Harding's mum but Margot Robbie was surprisingly excellent too. I was aware of the story, but not the intricate details and it was fascinating. It's interesting seeing it from her point of view, being a person who was torn apart by the American people for sport and a victim of a shitty upbringing and circumstance. 8/10

I Tonya - A biographical story of Tonya Harding told in a darkly comic way. I thought it was fantastic. It's obvious why Allison Janney won an Oscar for her role is Harding's mum but Margot Robbie was surprisingly excellent too. I was aware of the story, but not the intricate details and it was fascinating. It's interesting seeing it from her point of view, being a person who was torn apart by the American people for sport and a victim of a shitty upbringing and circumstance. 8/10

Tonya’s mum came across as mad as a box of frogs.

Just watched the Pelican Brief again
The parallels regarding whats going on in the US at the moment are terrifying
Denzel is Denzel, Julia Roberts is excellent, Stanlay Tucci is brilliant as the the contract killer, Robert Culp plays the president and you just want the punch the fucker

Mulan
6/10

Live remake of the disney cartoon flick. Better than I expected. Daughter was disappointed because “there are no songs in it”

Bacon Grabbers 8/10
Fascinating recreation of the life of Steve Bruce starring Kenneth Branagh in the Bruce role.

Actually that’s not exactly true. It’s an early laurel and hardy short and very funny it is too!

Se7en
Still a classic. 9/10

Critical Thinking
An inner city school tries to win the US National chess championship.
Was canny. 7.5/10

Beverley Hills Cop 3
Load of shite
4.5/10

Deep Cover - 7/10

Finally watched this for the 1st time last night after only ever listening to the song and thought it was really good
King Of New York - 7.25/10

Last edited:
Enola holmes

typical netflix shite.
starring superman, Oswald from peaky blinders and the lass from stranger things.
Sherlock Holmes younger sister is a better detective than him and grand to find her mother whose done a runner.

5/10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back