The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rebel moon - part one

Zach Snyder new film on Netflix.

enjoyed it, typical sci fi type with some great scenes as you’d expect from Snyder. Well paced.
Charlie Hunnam Northern Ireland accent disturbed me though.bizzare.

worth a watch 7/10

Went to see Godzilla minus one last weekend. If you enjoyed shin , you'll love it. It was that good, I'm going again. 9/10
I loved it.

I went to see it last Friday and again yesterday.

Apparently it only cost $15 million to make.

Rebel moon - part one

Zach Snyder new film on Netflix.

enjoyed it, typical sci fi type with some great scenes as you’d expect from Snyder. Well paced.
Charlie Hunnam Northern Ireland accent disturbed me though.bizzare.

worth a watch 7/10

It’s been getting slated in everything I’ve read about it but I really didn’t mind it. Will definitely be watching the second part in April, interested to see what happens with the Anthony Hopkins droid.

I’d say 6/10.

He's terrible at accents every film he's in.
Aye, Apart from the gentleman in which he’s brilliant And talking in his own accent.
It’s been getting slated in everything I’ve read about it but I really didn’t mind it. Will definitely be watching the second part in April, interested to see what happens with the Anthony Hopkins droid.

I’d say 6/10.
Aye was 50/50 but few people I know said it was a decent easy watch. Agree it is. I liked the ending with the droid.

Last edited:
Leave The World Behind (2023)

I’m a fan of Sam Esmail, Mr Robot is one of the greatest shows of the 21st century imo. Unfortunately, this really suffers from running with the less interesting idea. The parts about infrastructure failing and the Kevin Bacon stand off were very entertaining. The social commentary on our reliance on technology etc, not so much. An outstanding cast. Like most people I’d imagine, I wanted the film on the infiltration of a country by outside forces.

6/10
Reality (2023)

Sydney Sweeney plays the NSA-type employee who’s suspected of leaking classified documents and is interrogated by FBI agents. All the dialogue taken from actual recordings made in the day it happened. Entertaining reenactment but can only do as much as the source material allows.

6/10

Last edited:
Killers of the Flower Moon (2023) - 6.5/10 - Expected more from this - it was OK.

The Unbearable Weight Of Massive Talent (2022) - 6/10 - Watched this after recommendation earlier on this thread. Decent enough! A bit daft but guess that's the point! :)

Aftersun - great acting, simple story, it's been years since I had something in my eye at the end of a film. If you watch this and say that nothing happened at the end of it, then you have completely missed the point. 8/10

Godzilla Minus One (2023)

Finally, a Godzilla film with an emotional core. Actual characters and not just some CGI bloke smashing CGI buildings for 2 hours. Shot for less than 15 million, just goes to show this sort of thing can be done brilliantly without breaking the bank. Bravo.

8/10

Maestro. Bernstein and his wife and their love story. Felt some scenes dragged on a bit and.didnt really get emotionally involved as thought they were both assholes. Great music so give it 6/10

Maestro. Bernstein and his wife and their love story. Felt some scenes dragged on a bit and.didnt really get emotionally involved as thought they were both assholes. Great music so give it 6/10
Will be watching this in the coming days. Does very much look like Cooper begging for an Oscar mind.

Saltburn 7/10. Admittedly it was a bit bizarre but different to films I would normally watch. Have to say it kept my interest well and I enjoyed it-seems I'm definitely in the minority looking at others reviews. Pleased I didn't go to the cinema to see it though as it was all a bit weird in places 🤣.

I Think We're Alone Now - post apoc drama with the excellent Dinklage but unfortunately very little happens throughout this movie. Although there is a similar feel to Leave The World Behind I enjoyed that one more as the characters were focused on the event more whereas this one it is rarely mentioned. I watched it on Prime and thought the audio was shocking with lots of mumbling so not one I would recommend, but not a bad movie as such. 6/10

Also watched Freelance on Prime, not sure they really nailed what sort of movie it was as some parts were a little funny but I'm not sure it was deliberate. Brain off, phone out, on in the background if you must watch it.

The Holdovers - brilliant script, pretty original idea for a film, beautifully shot, nice music. Characters and dialogue are the main part of the film, was very funny at times and at other times quite sad. Well worth a watch if you like films that focus on human relationships, strong main 3 characters in the film.

8.5/10

The Holdovers - brilliant script, pretty original idea for a film, beautifully shot, nice music. Characters and dialogue are the main part of the film, was very funny at times and at other times quite sad. Well worth a watch if you like films that focus on human relationships, strong main 3 characters in the film.

8.5/10
Loved this movie ditto to what you wrote, loved the cooks part very witty character and dramatic at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back