The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.
Menu ....was holding off watching it because it thought it looked rubbish. Was quite surprised I actually enjoyed it, they was some good acting mainly from the lead character Ralph Fiennes. A load of greedy and pretentious customers getting their just deserts. 7/10

Menu ....was holding off watching it because it thought it looked rubbish. Was quite surprised I actually enjoyed it, they was some good acting mainly from the lead character Ralph Fiennes. A load of greedy and pretentious customers getting their just deserts. 7/10
I really enjoyed it. Dark as hell and you don't have any idea where its going, really entertaining.

As you say Ralph Fiennes was tremendous as always.

As a result of this I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel which is now up there with one of my favourite ever fillums. Utterly brilliant.

I really enjoyed it. Dark as hell and you don't have any idea where its going, really entertaining.

As a result of this I watched The Grand Budapest Hotel which is now up there with one of my favourite ever fillums. Utterly brilliant.
It's listed as horror. From what I've read on it though it's mainly just gore, is that right and is it therefore ok for someone that is easily spooked? Will it give them nightmares?

It's listed as horror. From what I've read on it though it's mainly just gore, is that right and is it therefore ok for someone that is easily spooked? Will it give them nightmares?
Depends what gives you nightmares, it's very dark and a bit shocking if you are easily shocked but wouldn't say its a horror as such. Some of it you can see what's coming but there is blood in it so if that's a thing you don't like I wouldn't recommend for you.

Depends what gives you nightmares, it's very dark and a bit shocking if you are easily shocked but wouldn't say its a horror as such. Some of it you can see what's coming but there is blood in it so if that's a thing you don't like I wouldn't recommend for you.
It’s my wife. I think she’s more shaken up by supernatural horror. Even Stranger Things did for her but that was more about reawakening some deep seated Nightmare on Elm Street related child hood trauma!

It’s my wife. I think she’s more shaken up by supernatural horror. Even Stranger Things did for her but that was more about reawakening some deep seated Nightmare on Elm Street related child hood trauma!
nightmare on elm Street was quite scary when it was first realesed. The menu is definitely not supernatural so maybe she will be fine watching it. Ralph Fiennes character is the thing that sticks with you as he's very unhinged and you don't know what he's going to do next. Very good performance from him

nightmare on elm Street was quite scary when it was first realesed. The menu is definitely not supernatural so maybe she will be fine watching it. Ralph Fiennes character is the thing that sticks with you as he's very unhinged and you don't know what he's going to do next. Very good performance from him
I think he's class.

I think my wife saw Nightmare on Elm Street when she was about 10 and was traumatised. I had a similar experience at a similar age with Candy Man!!

Grand Budapest is a great film thoroughly recommend watching it - funny, dark and unusual and quirky with a great cast including William Defoe - slipped under a lot of peoples radar but it is a good ‘un

Till - 8/10 - Harrowing true story about young black lad who was lynched by a mob for 'disrespecting' a white woman. Tells the tale of his mother's fight for justice. Really shows what racism was like (and will be to some degree) in some US states. Great performance from the actress playing the morher.

It's not a proper horror in my eyes. It's a dark comedy, just darker than your average. I don't like horror films, hate big shocks, yet loved this film.

Promising Young Woman
Finally got around to watch this, albeit eons behind everyone else. Really, really enjoyed it - one of my goals this year is to watch films which make me think a bit more, and which resonate a bit more after, and this *definitely* will do that.

Great performance by Mulligan, and a very good revenge thriller, but it's really an awful lot more than the phrase "revenge thriller" often implies. Can tell it's a first time director, some things are a bit clunky, but still really enjoyed it.
8.5/10

Tar

Cate Blanchett is the highly regarded conductor who’s past begins to catch up with her. It’s fantastic. 8.5/10

Black Panther 2 - 2 hours of MCU stuff, was alright, not the same impact as the first, although I never bought into the hype of that either. Seemed to go a little OTT on the homage to the guy who died (Boseman), filled a gap in the evening that's all.

On a side note, not a comic fan at all, but been watching all the MCU stuff, god knows what "Phase" we are on, but the originals all seems to be building to something and did. The latest lot, don't seem to be going anywhere, unless I'm missing something?
Nah these mcu ones are a load of shite, you just knew it when Disney paid gazillions for them. Utter tripe

It's not a proper horror in my eyes. It's a dark comedy, just darker than your average. I don't like horror films, hate big shocks, yet loved this film.
Thanks lads. We enjoyed it, not a horror in any way in my opinion.

Out of interest, slightly random but how does 'Get Out' compare in the 'horror' stakes?

Out of interest, slightly random but how does 'Get Out' compare in the 'horror' stakes?

[/getQUOTE]

Loved get out, bit unnerving at times and bit of humour thrown it, lead actor takes a good part . New style of horror come thriller 8/10 from me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back