The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

F9: The Fast Saga

You know what you’re getting. Lots of daft action. Bloody stupid. Poor acting. Shit one liners. Enjoyable nonsense

This was the daftest one yet. 5.5/10

Reactions: mux
Animal factory.
Prison drama about a green new
Prisoner who is befriended
Willem Defoe and the kid from terminator. Meh! Just doesn’t feel real. 5/10

The dry - new sky original
Eric bana and the Irish lass from tin star
Slow moving crime mystery 6/10

The mule
Solid as usual from Sir Clint Eastwood. 7.5/10

The tomorrow war.

Some bloke (along with a load of other blokes and lasses) gets sent to the future to try and stop an alien take over.

Enjoyable, 7.8/10

Amazon prime.

As good as it gets (1997)....Good performances but didnt do it for me, came across as dated and Nicholson & Hunt mismatched, a few funny bits but no more than a 6.5/10

Tracks (2013)...Dramatisation of Robyn Davidson's attempt to cross the Australian desert from Alice Springs to the Indian Ocean in the 70's with only her dog and a few camels. Slow and atmospheric, fantastic scenery and chilled soundtrack. Really enjoyed it 8/10

Once upon a time in hollywood (2019)....Nowhere near as good as his earlier movies but still worth a watch, it's a big sprawling mess but still manages to drag you in, some bits are great, others ridiculous 7.5/10

Reactions: mux
As good as it gets (1997)....Good performances but didnt do it for me, came across as dated and Nicholson & Hunt mismatched, a few funny bits but no more than a 6.5/10

Tracks (2013)...Dramatisation of Robyn Davidson's attempt to cross the Australian desert from Alice Springs to the Indian Ocean in the 70's with only her dog and a few camels. Slow and atmospheric, fantastic scenery and chilled soundtrack. Really enjoyed it 8/10

Once upon a time in hollywood (2019)....Nowhere near as good as his earlier movies but still worth a watch, it's a big sprawling mess but still manages to drag you in, some bits are great, others ridiculous 7.5/10

What did you watch 'Tracks' on please? Sounds great.

Watched the film version of the Snowtown murders again - 'Snowtown'.
Still brilliant, and desentitised as I am to violence, I still find the 'bath scene' impossible to watch.
A gut wrenching watch, but brilliant. 9.5/10.
Free on Youtube.

Nomadland.
Watched it last night after reading great reviews, 94% on Rotten tomatoes.
Dreadful. Absolutely dreadful film.

“The siege of Jarotville” about Irish UN forces sent to the Congo to keep the peace. True story, absolutely unbelievable!
9/10
Watched Seige a while ago, wasn't expecting much as I'd never even heard of it, but it's very good.

Had Nomadland in my list but based on our similar liking of Seige after seeing your review I'm now going give it a miss

The Deer Hunter

Gave up on it after an hour of virtually no audible dialogue and nothing had actually happened in terms of the story. 60 minutes of my life that I'll never get back

The Deer Hunter

Gave up on it after an hour of virtually no audible dialogue and nothing had actually happened in terms of the story. 60 minutes of my life that I'll never get back

Massively overrated film. The director had one hit prior to this thanks to Clint Eastwood, who applied some control and discipline to the set. Then he had all the luck in the world, got handed a Vietnam film at the time they were absolutely flavour of the month in films and being given an absolute dream cast who made up for his sloppy, heavy going shit technique. Then it undeservedly got wanked over at awards time and everyone forgot that as well as being an hour too long it was full of totally made up shit about the war.

Michael Cimino got found out on his next film which was a complete disaster and sank two studios. Fuck the Deer Hunter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back