The SMB Movie thread 2020 to 2023

Status
Not open for further replies.

I had tickets for last night but got delayed at work. I’m gonna book again for during the week
Truly is the greatest film btw
Looks like Odeon at the Metro Centre have added more Imax showings for the rest of week so that's good.
I've seen it countless times and but the IMAX version was next level stuff. I saw and heard things I'd missed completely on previous viewings, can't recommend the IMAX version highly enough.
Hoping the 3D version will add something too.

JAWS (3D version)
Still the greatest film of all time, no surprise there.
What is surprising is just how good the conversion to 3D was.
Not gimmicky coming out at the screen 3D, this gave real depth to the image and really allowed Spielberg's shot composition to shine through, (the high angle shots on the Orca are an absolute joy).
Just like the IMAX version, this adds something new to the old classic and again it was like seeing the film resh and new.
10/10 (obviously).

JAWS (3D version)
Not gimmicky coming out at the screen 3D, this gave real depth to the image and really allowed Spielberg's shot composition to shine through, (the high angle shots on the Orca are an absolute joy).
Just like the IMAX version, this adds something new to the old classic and again it was like seeing the film resh and new.
10/10 (obviously).

3D done right is great. the 3D demos on the tv's were always really good. I remember seeing a demo of leaves falling from a tree and they looked fantastic and came out of the screen, when it's used in films it's really poor though

Retro Weekend:
The Goonies - Got everything for a kids film of the day (80's) and still fun for an adult from that time. Not sure it would sit well with kids now, that carefree world has kind of passed. 8.5/10

Plane, Trains & Automobiles - Still gets good laughs from me anyway, perfect pairing of comics of the time. The car leasing scene still one of my favorites and reminds me of what I'd love to say to customer services these day. 8/10

Where Eagles Dare - Don't have to say anything on this one, if you know your old war films, you know 9.5/10

Retro Weekend:
The Goonies - Got everything for a kids film of the day (80's) and still fun for an adult from that time. Not sure it would sit well with kids now, that carefree world has kind of passed. 8.5/10

Plane, Trains & Automobiles - Still gets good laughs from me anyway, perfect pairing of comics of the time. The car leasing scene still one of my favorites and reminds me of what I'd love to say to customer services these day. 8/10

Where Eagles Dare - Don't have to say anything on this one, if you know your old war films, you know 9.5/10
All three are great films. The Goonies is indeed from an era of being young withiut a care in the world. Where eagles dare is bloody great. Boys own stuff.

JAWS (3D version)
10/10 (obviously).

I am so pleased that it was wasn’t released in 1975 in 3D, I don’t think my four year old self could have lasted the distance! Its been 47 years and my arse still gets nippy at certain scenes 😵‍💫

Watched Fall, not very good really. The work placement person was given the task of coming up with 5 or 6 things that can go wrong when stuck high up and they just ran with it. In addition, didn't like the 2 lead characters so wasn't that bothered about them falling (not a spoiler btw)

Am watching Firebird tonight. Had to pause it after one hour and four minutes. Is it going to end as tragic as I fear it will ? Not really in the mood for a tear jerker but you never know with these real life based movies.

Need more wine.
Edit: That movie broke me.

Please watch it.

Last edited:
Tyneside Cinema is playing 2001:A Space Odyssey on Sunday night. I’m going to see it and can’t wait.

On Halloween The Shining is on. Kubrick is my film making hero.

Never seen either on the big screen. Can’t wait for a night of one point perspective viewing :cool:

Not strictly on topic but I’ve noticed that the Sunderland empire cinema and boldon’s Cineworld both aren’t open during Wednesday 21st, opening at tea time instead. Gutted, I used to go lots during the week when I am off work

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back