The SMB Book thread

Discworld is fantastic, though I’m glad I read Mort first.
It’s been a long time since I read Running Man but I don’t recall the movie having much of a resemblance.
Think im going to start the Rincewind ones first and read them in the little arc's but im going off a guy at work for the running man, im guessing hes full of shite 😂
Loved Mort. Trying to read them in order. Currently reading Guards, Guards! and enjoying enormously.
Back to Dickens after this one mind.
in order of publication of the character series? think im going to go for the series approach and start with the Rincewind ones

One of my favourite reads is over 300 years old, Gulliver's Travels, the unabridged version. I was surprised at how modern his writing is, having expected it to be 'oldeworldy'. Its nothing of the sort. It contains one of possibly the earliest euphemisms...taking a dump...'the necessities of nature' :lol:

Think im going to start the Rincewind ones first and read them in the little arc's but im going off a guy at work for the running man, im guessing hes full of shite 😂

in order of publication of the character series? think im going to go for the series approach and start with the Rincewind ones
Yes, order of publication. I think Guards, Guards! is around number 8-ish.

I've read it- Getting your head around all the names of the characters and families I found the most difficult part, but I enjoyed it. Tolstoy is the gold standard of novel writing, maybe George Eliot comes close to him in English literature, but not many others can match his mastery of prose. I read it about 15 years ago and a few chapters still stick in my mind. The battle scenes of Austerlitz and Borodino the latter under General Kutuzov is fantastic reading and the hunt scene with Count Rostov. It's definitely worth it and accessible to anyone, unlike Joyce's Ulysses which I gave up after around 400 pages.
I have a hardback edition of W&P, the supplied bookmark is a dramatis personae, which is nice.

I've just finished Caliban Shrieks by Jack Hilton. First published in 1935 and reprinted as a "lost classic". An interesting and enjoyable read, almost stream of consciousness in its pace. There are mental flirtations with eugenics and inevitably language that was commonplace at the time. Calturesgrim poverty from experience. Scathing about "rich parasites" but equally contemptuous of organised labour and its over willingness to fit in and conform with the establishment. A classic? No, but a worthwhile reprint sharing a lost working class voice.

Recently enjoyed Cassandra At The Wedding by Dorothy Baker and just started Young Man With A Horn.

A couple of John Banville's, The Lock Up in his Stafford/Quirke crime series - good writing, though there needed to be a bit more depth to the ending. The Singularities had some of the sense of The Book of Evidence but not as atmospheric.

Picked up The Lake District Murders by John Bude in a charity shop because I only had a chapter left of the book in my pocket. It's one of the British Library Crime Classics reprints. Was OK but really put the procedural into the police procedural and left nothing to the imagination, said things twice if it could.

so i went with Discworld, already finished The colour of magic & The light fantastic, decided im going to continue with the Rincewind books so ive just ordered Sourcery for my kindle

I'm about halfway through UFO of God by Chris Bledsoe.
It's absolutely fascinating and documents his sightings and interactions with phenomena/entities/orbs which continues to this day. He's posted loads of videos and pictures of these on his Instagram account. NASA, the CIA, the Pentagon, army etc have all been regular visitors to his property to watch and experience these sightings which are pretty much daily.

I have just finished another book and ready for my next one

But. The book I have is War and Peace. Yes I know all the jokes but it is a massive tome and I’m not sure I really fancy it. I have not read it previously and have read lots of the classics so I think I should.

Anyone read it and care to share their view?
I've read it and I think Anna Karenina is much better.

A Gentleman in Moscow

Had this on the shelf before I'd heard of a TV series. Not my style and took a few chapters to get ito it but enjoyed it

Last two books I read were both Scottish based.
Glue - Irvine Welsh - I'm a big fan of his and the story of four friends from childhood till their thirties. Welsh's mix of horror and humour in equal measure. Good read Preferred it to trainspotting.
Young Mungo - Douglas Stuart- follow up to highlight acclaimed Shugie Bain. Love, alcoholism and violence in Glasgows East End. Really enjoyed this, I like his writing style and interested to see what his next book will be like after his first two are on a similar theme

Back