The SMB Book thread

The Cold, Cold Ground by Adrian McKinty. 6/10

Police procedural set in Northern Ireland in the early 80s. Really enjoyed the first half - great sense of time and place. Wasn't so convinced by the second half, and the ending was a bit weak - with all the loose ends tied up by a chapter-long conversation. Surely the secret of a good crime novel is 'show, don't tell'.

The vanishing witch - Karen Maitland.

If a storm is raging, it may be stilled if a woman strips herself naked and presents her body to the storm. For this reason figure-heads of bare-breasted women are often set on the prow of a ship to still the waves and abate the tempest.

Mediaeval mildly gothic witchery, during the era of Richard III and the peasants revolt 7/10

Now on with CJ Sansom's latest

Chappers

Striker
I rate out of five as per goodreads.

Anyhow, last one was the rising and gave it 5/5.

Struggling with current book in the Harry Dresden series that I'm reading, like. Hence the reason I'm on here and not reading.

zwartekat

Striker
'Do It For Your Mum' - a quite interesting book about the band British Sea Power. Quite a bit of stuff about the frontmen whose Dad was from Sunderland although they grew up in the Lakes.

Steeeeed

Winger
The Panther, Nelson De Mille.

8/10

Part of the John Corey series, which I'm a fan of. Largely based around Al Qaeda in Yemen, so quite topical of late, unfortunately.

Cat Out of Hell - Lynne Truss

I very much enjoyed it. A bit of a mad book which starts off very amusing, with the story of a bit of an idiot who lives with a talking cat. It turns dark and mysterious fairly quickly though when with some seemingly inexplicable deaths. It also wasn't very long, which appeals to me.

4/5

The Code Book - Simon Singh.

A history of code breaking from Tudor England to (semi) present time. Includes bits on Bletchley, how they got Mary Queen of Scots, how they developed internet encryption, The Navajo Windtalkers. Excellent book.

8.5/10