The SMB Book thread

Monty Pigeon

Striker
The Cold, Cold Ground by Adrian McKinty. 6/10

Police procedural set in Northern Ireland in the early 80s. Really enjoyed the first half - great sense of time and place. Wasn't so convinced by the second half, and the ending was a bit weak - with all the loose ends tied up by a chapter-long conversation. Surely the secret of a good crime novel is 'show, don't tell'.

Logon or register to see this image

Of mice and men in high school 1995. Can't remember much about it really, 5/10.

The vanishing witch - Karen Maitland.

If a storm is raging, it may be stilled if a woman strips herself naked and presents her body to the storm. For this reason figure-heads of bare-breasted women are often set on the prow of a ship to still the waves and abate the tempest.

Mediaeval mildly gothic witchery, during the era of Richard III and the peasants revolt 7/10

Now on with CJ Sansom's latest

I rate out of five as per goodreads.

Anyhow, last one was the rising and gave it 5/5.

Struggling with current book in the Harry Dresden series that I'm reading, like. Hence the reason I'm on here and not reading.

'Do It For Your Mum' - a quite interesting book about the band British Sea Power. Quite a bit of stuff about the frontmen whose Dad was from Sunderland although they grew up in the Lakes.

Mr Mercedes - Stephen King 7/10

Good, but the ending was no surprise, very formulaic.

Cat Out of Hell - Lynne Truss

I very much enjoyed it. A bit of a mad book which starts off very amusing, with the story of a bit of an idiot who lives with a talking cat. It turns dark and mysterious fairly quickly though when with some seemingly inexplicable deaths. It also wasn't very long, which appeals to me.

4/5

Back