The Royle Family

Status
Not open for further replies.

Because they were sucking the marrow from the bones of it. They should have quit while they were ahead like us brits used to do. Fawlty towers and blackadder were classic examples.

Fools and horses was the first to go on far too long imho. I would have said last of the summer wine but most of the people who watch that are more than likely senile and thought it was a brilliant new series...
It was

Caroline Aherne's death was a tragic loss. She was wonderful at observational comedy not just with The Royals but also Mrs Merton and the Fast Show (I loved her nosey checkout girl commenting on every item each customer bought and making personal comments... " Ahhh anti dandruff shampoo.. Is that for you?")

My favourite line is where Barbara is stressed about cooking the dinner; she apologies to Twiggy about what she's cooking and he says something along the lines of 'don't worry about me Barb, I'll eat any old shite.'

When they started filming the show, some of the people involved didn't think it was working and wanted to put a canned laughter track on :eek:
Think it was that episode when Denise says "when we get our house you'll all have to come to ours for Sunday dinner.......it'll be a nice change for Mam to cook dinner somewhere else":lol:

In 2010 my wife (no) and I had been walking near Middleton in Teesdale when we stopped for a picnic at Selset Reservoir. We were the only people there until a very aged Jaguar turned up driven by an old guy dressed in a smart suit wearing a cravat. An old lady got out of the passenger seat and walked past us and I realised it was 'Nana' - Liz Smith herself. The chap with her was getting a very fancy picnic set out of the boot and she sat down on the bench next to us so we got talking. She and her friend/driver sat with us for an hour, drank tea and chatted. She was witty, relaxed and really down to earth. She told me she had a property in the Lakes but often came over to the North Pennines to avoid the crowds. Have to say it was great to meet her, she was my favourite character in the Royle Family and in it's pomp was one of the very best TV sitcoms. I have some lovely pics of us with her - and no I'm not posting any of them :)

On gold now.

How's your parents Dave?
Alright, but it's coming up to the anniversary.
Anniversary of what Dave?
The dog dying.
How'd the dog die Dave?
Commited suicide.
Jumped off the balcony.

It ran its course. But it was brilliant in its pomp. Dave got very annoying towards the end, they lobotomised him as a character. I mean he was never the sharpest, but he was an annoying dimwit by the end, very irritating dumbed down voice

Only Fools done the exact same with Trigger. That bit in 1 of the last few episodes, where he sees stars then doesn't, because he's blinking, stupid. He was never that dumb in the earlier episodes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back