The pre 1992 Sunderland-Newcastle Rivalry

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aye these blokes said they always preferred 1 or the other, but thought nothing of going with their mates on a Saturday and cheer us or them on. Not sure when it changed.

My dad used to do this as well, he was red and white daft but it was common to go with mates who were black and white to their home games. I think I can recall him saying that this all changed during the 60's.

The bitter rivalry hasnt changed imo and has always been there pre Hall and Keegan. I went to school in Wrekenton from the early to mid 80's therefore me and the only other Sunderland supprter in our year were seriously outnumbered, I can recall that none of the mags ever went to the games like, full of chat but didn't see a game between them.

Mid 80's when I was selling the pink paper round all the club's and pubs in Horden there were very few Newcastle fans so rivalry round here wasn't really seen.

Then during Keegan years we saw loads of turncoats and new support for them. I know a canny few lads that turned from us to them, Absolute wankers

Not much to note hooliganism wise, until the game at Roker in Oct 78. Mags threw a few bottles about the Roker End, and i think they threw their weight about a bit (but not sure) outside before and after. The return saw the battle of bath lane.

It all deteriorated after they came in the Clockstand Paddock for the Gillingham play-off. Then there was our play off with them. Then the John Hall era after that!

Apart from the riot in 1909, when police horses had to be used to stop the fans lobbing cobblestones at each other.

I remember one game v forest about 71/72 where the forest lads were round the back of the Fulwell, the Fulwell subsequently emptied as our lads rushed round the back to sort them out!!! It was incredible to watch from the safety of the main stand seats.

There was a game against Blackpool, I think 1973/74. We were losing 1-0, and when the gates opened about half an hour before full time, the Fulwell end emptied and the Roker started filling. Justy as we equalised, all hell broke loose in the Roker, with Blackpool fans literally jumping into the stairwells to get away.

Last edited:
I f***ing hate mags. Like genuine hatred. See one walk into pub with a strip on and i'll imediately hate the bloke. Scum of the f***ing Earth they are.
Most of us are the same as most of you.

Mid 80's when I was selling the pink paper round all the club's and pubs in Horden there were very few Newcastle fans so rivalry round here wasn't really seen.

Then during Keegan years we saw loads of turncoats and new support for them. I know a canny few lads that turned from us to them, Absolute wankers
I go away with a lot of lads from horden, have done since the early 70's. Sound lads.

Last edited:
I was in the clockstand seats in 1969/70. Newcastle had 9/10 of the fulwell. Fair bit of bother. It's been going on for years. Been in with your lot on many a time, at least a dozen. Last time was the Liam O'Brian free kick. Now that was a bit scary

I was at the game you mention in 69/70 (Roker End of course) & it was the first time I saw genuine bother at a Derby. The previous season the Derbies were a double-header (Boxing Day/New Year), no segregation & loads of us in the Leazes & plenty of yours in the Fulwell, yet don't recall seeing any trouble. I'd say 69/70 was definitely the season it all changed in terms of serious trouble.

Apart from the riot in 1909, when police horses had to be used to stop the fans lobbing cobblestones at each other.

There was a game against Blackpool, I think 1973/74. We were losing 1-0, and when the gates opened about half an hour before full time, the Fulwell end emptied and the Roker started filling. Justy as we equalised, all hell broke loose in the Roker, with Blackpool fans literally jumping into the stairwells to get away.

Then went on to have a dip in the sea!

From what I’ve read and heard, they used to come through on a derby day (70s/80s) and try to take the piss. But what goes round comes around, as they’re fuck all without the old bill around.

I was at the game you mention in 69/70 (Roker End of course) & it was the first time I saw genuine bother at a Derby. The previous season the Derbies were a double-header (Boxing Day/New Year), no segregation & loads of us in the Leazes & plenty of yours in the Fulwell, yet don't recall seeing any trouble. I'd say 69/70 was definitely the season it all changed in terms of serious trouble.

Appreciate your civilised reply. A bit classier than the predictable gravy stained horse puncher response.

Hated them then, hate them now and always will 1908 shows how far back it goes, John Hall was an upgrade to the one eyed fuckwit Westwood, Hall and Keegan era was the invention of plastic Mags, prior to that they were on their arse, started a ground development they couldn't afford, council threatening to evict them Leazes end in shreds for years, signing players from Blyth fuckin tin pot outfit supported by a load of hangers on with delusion or mental health issues. Apart from that I'm neither up nor down about them.
Just about sums it up for me mate. Some of the mags I know are good lads, but the post 92 ers
Different breed.

Last edited by a moderator:
pre keegan i'd always disliked them, never really hated them mind and never wanted to belt one because of football.
since the keegan days my feelings of dislike have grown more into contempt.
like eddie says there weren't many round here and those that came out of the woodwork are the biggest gobshites known to man.

Me da said it really changed after the 1990 play off semis.

It didn't.

I was at the home and away games in 1985. There was plenty of rivalry at both games. The mags were in the Fulwell and there was plenty of them in the Clockstand seats too. Me and my 4 mates were offered out by 3 stupid mags after the home game. Me and my mate thumped 2 of the mags and my other mate chased the other one up the street.

I was lifted before the league game in 1989. The mags came through mob handed but were mainly scattered all over the shop. There was a handful of game ones outside the Clockstand paddocks, one of which was giving a young kid a thumping so I put him on his arse. Lifted for breach of the peace.

I was through the shit tip for the away game prior to the play offs and the semi final itself. It was just the same as it had always been. Nasty atmosphere but the only difference was the bad losers came on the pitch. Luckily for them they stopped as every daft bastard from the town was in the away end :)

That was pretty much football in the 80's for a young daft lad who went home and away.

Use to work with a few blokes who will be in their 70's now, who use to go to st James one week, Roker Park the next.
That was me. Not all the time at SJP, but often. It was fun. Teasing. Though my father in law could contemptuously describe Mags as "King's men"

I was also at the game, I must have been amongst the 1/10 Sunderland supporters in there. Whilst I wont call you names I will certainly say that you have been needing to go to specsavers for a very long time
Cheers, but that is how I truthfully saw it, albeit a long time ago.

I f***ing hate mags. Like genuine hatred. See one walk into pub with a strip on and i'll imediately hate the bloke. Scum of the f***ing Earth they are.
A little while ago I was crossing the road and at the other side was a little kid and his dad wearing Newcastle tops. I could see the kid wanted to press the button for the traffic lights, so I put a little burst of speed on so I could press it before him.

That's how immature I can be.

A question for the "older" posters on here:

What was the culture of our rivalry like with Newcastle before the John Hall/Sky/Keegan era?

I've been reading through the other mag threads on here in response to the Chelsea game and obviously it couldn't be more visible how their fans are almost cult-like, riddled with mass delusion, over-entitlement and an inability to accept the reality of their club's situation. Similarly, when you look at our responses to this, it seems that our contempt for them has only intensified as a reaction to this kind of culture, as well as having been profoundly alienated by rhetoric such as "geordie nation", plastic fans and related shit as the 90s panned out.

This really makes me wonder how things were between the two sets of fans before this all started. As we know the rivalry was very much there in the 1980s, but am I to assume it was a lot more equal and level headed? Was there less open arrogance on display? And before terms such as "delusion" came round, how would we have described them?

probably arrogant wankers would suffice to cover all bases,just my op like

Cheers, but that is how I truthfully saw it, albeit a long time ago.
There were a fair few in the Fulwell on the Clock Stand side but not many if any in the cage and beyond to the Main Stand side. Sometimes you see what you want to see and sometimes your memory plays tricks on you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back