The pre 1992 Sunderland-Newcastle Rivalry

• Thread starter Deleted member 27897
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Use to work with a few blokes who will be in their 70's now, who use to go to st James one week, Roker Park the next.

My Grandad always used to like to see both do well. My Dad went to the darkside and I went red and white but I love that we can watch either team together and be unbiased when talking about the match. We don't talk for days after derby matches though, just in case :lol:

No doubt things have been ramped up by the coming of anti-social media but things where just as heated in the 60s. As well as the mags the visits of Stoke, West Ham, Forest, Leeds etc usually lead to street fights around Roker Park and the stations. The rivalry with the mags has been around forever.
I remember one game v forest about 71/72 where the forest lads were round the back of the Fulwell, the Fulwell subsequently emptied as our lads rushed round the back to sort them out!!! It was incredible to watch from the safety of the main stand seats.

Not much to note hooliganism wise, until the game at Roker in Oct 78. Mags threw a few bottles about the Roker End, and i think they threw their weight about a bit (but not sure) outside before and after. The return saw the battle of bath lane.

It all deteriorated after they came in the Clockstand Paddock for the Gillingham play-off. Then there was our play off with them. Then the John Hall era after that!

I remember that game in 78. We were in the Roker End & I'm pretty sure there was little or no segregation; or if there was it didn't work.

Next home Derby was in April 1980 (Cummins winner) they were all in the Roker End (main stand side) properly segregated.

Talking to some of the older lads that I drink with, it definitely got nastier in the late 70’s/early 80’s but it’s always been there.

I remember one old boy talking about hundreds of Sunderland going through in the mid 50’s and spending all day fighting with them.

I can only speak about 85-92 like before that period and it was just the same from what I can recall, especially around the play off games that have been mentioned.

I think the main difference is that back then it just seemed to be Sunderland and Newcastle back and forth with insults etc.

Now a lot of our supposed fans like to do it behind a keyboard personally insulting there fellow Sunderland fans as opposed to the Mags Sunderland rivalry.

Really? You mean it got a bit softer with more name calling etc? Nowt like the 70's which were fairly violent at times.
I remember my brother bring home a hatchet/axe which had been thrown at him on the way home from a derby match in the 70's.
It was a "friendly" too.

It wasn't too friendly down Bath Lane a couple of times in the late 70's/early 80's either.

I’ve looked online for a copy of The Sunday Sun without luck which had a double centre page feature on the weapons haul from the preceding day’s derby at Roker Park. There were knives, hatchets, hammers, axes and home made clubs with nails sticking out. A sack full was thrown over the wall at the Fulwell end but fortunately it was the old bill that got there first. As you say the violence in those days was fairly graphic.

I’ve looked online for a copy of The Sunday Sun without luck which had a double centre page feature on the weapons haul from the preceding day’s derby at Roker Park. There were knives, hatchets, hammers, axes and home made clubs with nails sticking out. A sack full was thrown over the wall at the Fulwell end but fortunately it was the old bill that got there first. As you say the violence in those days was fairly graphic.
I used to walk back from Roker to Whiteleas as it tended to be safer than hanging around bus stops waiting to be pounced on. Still had a car full of the fuckers chase me on my own across a field of wheat.

Use to work with a few blokes who will be in their 70's now, who use to go to st James one week, Roker Park the next.

This. I was under the impression it was a common thing.

My dad was a lifelong Sunderland fan but he took us to St. James' Park to watch Keegan's last game as a player.

I don't really get this modern animosity between the two teams if I'm honest.

Last edited:

It’s was pretty common and I believe back in the 1950’s, people turned out at Sunderland station to applaud Newcastle as they returned from Wembley after winning the FA Cup.

The trouble we have now is a byproduct of hooliganism.

I was in the clockstand seats in 1969/70. Newcastle had 9/10 of the fulwell. Fair bit of bother. It's been going on for years. Been in with your lot on many a time, at least a dozen. Last time was the Liam O'Brian free kick. Now that was a bit scary

My first proper derby was in 74/75 (I think it was a friendly and night game) we used to a lot of them back then pre season. Fighting at seaburn station as the sunlund lads were waiting for the mags, taking scarfs and hats off them (and vice a versa) these were seen as trophies back then. Fighting all the way down Fulwell road then around the ground and into the ground. There was a big battle under the roker end that year.

Loads of trouble at Monty's testimonial, 76 ish?

Coach got bricked coming back from sid James on New Years Day 80, and I was in the grandstand paddock for the return, in front of them. They'd thrown a load of flares the previous week at home against west ham IIRC so the April 80 atmosphere at Roker was horrible.

Yet my Dad occasionally watched them in the early 50's along with others, so something changed early/late 60's I reckon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back