The playoff final

I was 90% certain we would win which is hugely unusual for me because I’m a glass half empty type of person.

Credit to Alex Neil for getting everything spot on in the 3 play off matches, shame how it ended but never mind.

The noise was ridiculous 2nd half singing "Sunderland take over", never ever heard noise like it. The stand where we were was actually bouncing underneath us. Wish there was some vids of it knocking about. Goosebumps on my arms when it was being belted out, went on for ages.👏👏💪
It been mentioned on here before but some football reporter was on some big football podcast ( forget what one) and he reckons the noise when we scored the second one was the loudest thing he had ever heard in a football ground

I'll never forget the day, I've posted this before but falling over after the second started a sequence of events that a few days later ended with me having a heart attack in hospital 🤣 so it has a strange set of emotions attached to it all.

Off to Wembley tonight, be nice to walk in there relaxed instead of having my nerves shredded

Sitting not too far from where I was for the playoff final

Spoke to a copper on the outskirts of Trafalgar Square and he said he’d policed football fans in London for over 25 years, England matches, Scotland coming down, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund Champions league finals, he’d seen Man United, Liverpool, Everton, Leeds etc in various finals, cup finals, play offs etc but said he and his colleagues agreed Sunderland were the best he’d ever seen including the night before the most recent play off final and in previous play offs and the 2019 Pompey game etc. He said our passion was unique and that we made their job easy as he contested Sunderland fans police each other, so if a few pissed dafties start acting themselves they normally get brought into line by fellow supporters. He reckoned we were all a bit mad in a positive sense and came out with the classic “what would you be like if you were successful?!” 🤣

Last edited:
It been mentioned on here before but some football reporter was on some big football podcast ( forget what one) and he reckons the noise when we scored the second one was the loudest thing he had ever heard in a football ground
I'll have some of that👍👍 The noise was mental like.
Off to Wembley tonight, be nice to walk in there relaxed instead of having my nerves shredded

Sitting not too far from where I was for the playoff final
Good on you going mate but it will be flat as a fart, apart from that god damn awful band.🙈🙈

Last edited:
I'll never forget the day, I've posted this before but falling over after the second started a sequence of events that a few days later ended with me having a heart attack in hospital 🤣 so it has a strange set of emotions attached to it all.
You cant have everything 😉

The way I describe that whole weekend to my old man, who's too old to travel away these days, is that it was a giant mass catharsis of 50,000 Sunderland fans. After that weekend it felt like a huge footballing weight had been lifted and we could move on an begin to enjoy ourselves once more.

Skip to 1 hour 49 minutes and enjoy

From Peter Reid’s ‘Wow’, Quinny belting out Wise Men Say to the just sheer scenes that follow.

Don’t really want to mention him, but how can Alex Neil experience that and fuck off just a few months later?
Would have enjoyed it more if the final whistle could have coincided with a seizure by the commentator.

I was 90% certain we would win which is hugely unusual for me because I’m a glass half empty type of person.

Credit to Alex Neil for getting everything spot on in the 3 play off matches, shame how it ended but never mind.
Despite us being previous perennial Wembley losers, there was not a single one of my crowd of mates, who thought we'd lose, and though nobody was shouting it from the rooftops, we were all very quietly confident that our day in the sun, was about to happen, that fantastic day at Wembley, after going into the play off's on a roll and in good form and looking solid, if unspectacular.
Nothing was going to stop us winning promotion.

Honestly was the greatest day of me life. Been to Wembley 5 times before and obviously lost all 5 games, managing to finally see us win there with me fatha was special.

The whole day just different and I was confident we wouldn’t fuck this up, scoring when we did confirmed it.

Last edited:
Remember standing in the queue for the tube and there was this black security gadgie who was the spit of Stormzy and inevitably this lad started singing ‘Stormzy, Stormzy give us a song’ and he immediately starts singing ‘Wise Men Day’ and everyone’s joins in. Top weekend all round.

Back