The playoff final

It was the best.

All of the shit of Champo relegation and the League One let downs gone in one day.
I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I look at the results and table for League 1 this season. If we hadn't gone up it would have been extra hard this season 'cos it looks like Ipswich, Portsmouth and Wednesday have all finally got their acts together, and the current top 6 are all stronger sides - no MK Dons, Wycombe or Oxford clogging things up at the moment.

What I liked about that day was every single Sunderland supporter was singing.
The noise was ridiculous 2nd half singing "Sunderland take over", never ever heard noise like it. The stand where we were was actually bouncing underneath us. Wish there was some vids of it knocking about. Goosebumps on my arms when it was being belted out, went on for ages.👏👏💪

I still get a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach when I look at the results and table for League 1 this season. If we hadn't gone up it would have been extra hard this season 'cos it looks like Ipswich, Portsmouth and Wednesday have all finally got their acts together, and the current top 6 are all stronger sides - no MK Dons, Wycombe or Oxford clogging things up at the moment.
As much as I despise AN for running away from SAFC I’m grateful he got us out that league, it was terrible.
Hopefully we never go back there and thankfully we have moved on well without AN now.

The noise was ridiculous 2nd half singing "Sunderland take over", never ever heard noise like it. The stand where we were was actually bouncing underneath us. Wish there was some vids of it knocking about. Goosebumps on my arms when it was being belted out, went on for ages.👏👏💪
From around 70 minutes onwards that’s the best noise and atmosphere I’ve ever been in. It was constant noise from the whole end. Incredible weekend. We even briefly got to share it with each other like home matches! You couldn’t have written a better weekend

I think we’d have been there or thereabouts

But, how many players would we have lost and Alex Neil would’ve probably fucked off anyway and would we have got a manager or mowbray’s pedigree

So maybes we wouldn’t have been there or thereabouts

I’m glad I’ve cleared this up for everyone 😣
From around 70 minutes onwards that’s the best noise and atmosphere I’ve ever been in. It was constant noise from the whole end. Incredible weekend. We even briefly got to share it with each other like home matches! You couldn’t have written a better weekend
It was mint like

After the game anarl and also on the way out of the ground

I have to say - I’d never sang on an escalator before that day

Last edited:
Kevin Kyle summed it up perfectly a few days later when he was on a football show talking with a few other jocks. He said he had been to many big games and some including Celtic and Rangers but our playoff final was the best fan atmosphere he has ever experienced. It still has a dream like quality to me, a moment in time that will never be surpassed.

Aye, it was the loudest noise i've ever been in aswel at that point of singing '"Sunderland Takeover". Was great seeing yous on way out chanting that! :lol:

Wycombe finished in 6th last year, and had 83 points. Plymouth missed out, with 80. The season prior, Plymouth's 80 points would have seen them finish 3rd.

The previous (full) season before that, Doncaster made the playoffs with 72 points. The year before that Charlton and Scunthorpe made the playoffs with 74 and 71 points. The year before that nobody in the playoffs got more than 82 points.

Last year was pretty competitive just get into the playoffs.

It was an incredible feeling, to be part of something so special.
Walking out of Wembley Stadium, after finally witnessing a Sunland win there, was the most fantastic feeling of euphoria.
Looking around in the ground as the minutes ticked down towards the final whistle, and hearing the unbelievable noise from our fans and seeing nigh on 50,000 Red & White's, bouncing up and down, twirling scarves, shirts, flags in the air, and all singing as one, was absolutely incredible.

A very special day, and weekend. 🔴⚪🔴
Not one single Sunland fan was purged, on that wonderful day at Wembley.

Last edited:
I was there as a boy in '73 which was magical. An unbelievable dream which came true.
But the play-off final in May was better because of what was at stake, getting out of a horrible, horrible league at last.
Like others I imagine, I shed tears on the day, not just because we won but to see and be part of such amazing support was incredible.

Back