The Pep myth

Just for the record I am absolutely not saying isn't a superb manager, not in any way and I want that to be clear.

But there has been a consistent pattern with Pep in which when it comes to crunch time in the CL, he makes what could be deemed a strange decision that backfires.

I think you read Pep Confidential IIRC and the semi-final against Madrid during the year that book covers goes into that in some depth.

Last night (withdrawing KDB and Haaland 8 minutes before a shootout in which they'd have been guaranteed to be 2 of the 5 takers), the CL final vs Chelsea, the semi-final vs Madrid in 21/22, and 3 semi-finals at Bayern all fit the bill.

Again, obviously a superb manager, but it's absolutely fair to critique his decision-making in the latter stages of the CL IMO.
I don't disagree, but it's been confirmed Haaland, KDB and Akanji were all injured and asked to come off.

Don't think he did a lot wrong last night. They battered Real Madrid - 8 points clear at the top of La Liga and only conceded 20 goals in 31 games - but couldn't find a way past them then lost on penalties after losing their two best players to injury in extra time. It happens.

Not really related to Pep's tactics, but was just reading about the penalties. Real Madrid identified 3 City players who may go straight down the middle and agreed for Lunin to gamble and stay on his feet for one of them only - Bernardo scored against Kepa in 2019 by going straight down the middle and Kepa and Lunin were in discussion before the shootout. Rudiger also pointed exactly where Kovacic was going to put his penalty - obviously they know each other other from Chelsea. Shows the level of detail that goes into penalties now that wouldn't have been possible in the past.

Just for the record I am absolutely not saying isn't a superb manager, not in any way and I want that to be clear.

But there has been a consistent pattern with Pep in which when it comes to crunch time in the CL, he makes what could be deemed a strange decision that backfires.

I think you read Pep Confidential IIRC and the semi-final against Madrid during the year that book covers goes into that in some depth.

Last night (withdrawing KDB and Haaland 8 minutes before a shootout in which they'd have been guaranteed to be 2 of the 5 takers), the CL final vs Chelsea, the semi-final vs Madrid in 21/22, and 3 semi-finals at Bayern all fit the bill.

Again, obviously a superb manager, but it's absolutely fair to critique his decision-making in the latter stages of the CL IMO.

He makes mistakes, but you acknowledge that he's a superb manager.

And aye, for anyone interested, Pep Confidential and the second book give really good insights into his tenures.

Unlimited budget. 1 champions league in 13 years.

Flash in the pan

He’s just not as clever as he thinks he is
£100m on Grealish was mental like.

Man City and Chelsea don’t buy players because they need them.

They buy them to stop other teams buying them.

Grealish is over rated to fuck and got sold for that on the back of one and a half good seasons.

Last edited:
I don't disagree, but it's been confirmed Haaland, KDB and Akanji were all injured and asked to come off.

Don't think he did a lot wrong last night. They battered Real Madrid - 8 points clear at the top of La Liga and only conceded 20 goals in 31 games - but couldn't find a way past them then lost on penalties after losing their two best players to injury in extra time. It happens.
I don’t think he did a lot wrong either. Yes City dominated but Madrid seemed quite happy to sit deep and relinquish possession with an obvious game plan, they defended superbly. Over the tie the two teams were pretty well matched and were separated by one ridiculous penalty in a shootout. No inquest needed, it could have gone either way and this time it was Madrid’s way - it happens in football!

He makes mistakes, but you acknowledge that he's a superb manager.

And aye, for anyone interested, Pep Confidential and the second book give really good insights into his tenures.

Same author has a new one coming out this summer detailing the last few years following Pep at City.

Should be a cracking read if the others are anything to go by!

Back