The Pep myth

I’m sure I’ll get tons of abuse for this, so I’ll caveat in advance. He’s clearly a top coach. This is more a “is he as good as he thinks he is?” post

it’s now 10 years since he won the champions league. Despite having pretty much unlimited money at City and coaching Bayern, one of the biggest clubs on the planet

He got somewhat fortunate with Barca as he inherited arguably the best player ever in his prime

look at his City numbers. He’s been great domestically. But he should be when you look at what he’s bought. The transfer fees are from memory, so tell me I’m wrong

Ederson £35m (one of the highest fees ever at the time)
Walker £50m
Mendy £50m (even without the news he’s been crap)
Cancelo £40m+
Dias, Stones, Ake, Laporte at a combined £220m ish
Rodri £60m
De Bruyne £57m
Silva £35m
Jesus £27m
Mahrez £60m
Grealish £100m
Torres £25m

there will be more. Probably only one looks a shocker, but given the money surely he has to win more?

who has he sold at a profit? Sane?

who has he developed? Foden?

I’ll get pelters, but 10 years since a CL. With that money. He’s not the genius he thinks he is?

All the top clubs pay massive fees regardless of the manager. Solskjaer has spent a shit load since he’s been at Man Utd.

What Pep does almost guarantee is the league title and a cup each season.

The CL is difficult to win. He was regularly getting to the Semi finals with Bayern and reached the Final with city.

He’s a excellent manager.

So, why focus on the fees? With the current Man City ownership, they're pretty much irrelevant anyway.

Mendy' as you say, has been crap and Pep made a tactical error not starting one of Fernandinho and Rodri in last season's Champions' League final. I think he/they will regret not having a striker this season as well.
More that he had “unlimited resources” and still hasn’t won the big one

Back