The Peacock (pub)

Never seen so much malice or ill feeling towards a pub in my life for having rebranded itself and bettered its business.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, there's a certain crowd on Facebook who really despise the Peacock and miss the days of the Londonderry, and they take maximum offense to anything that portrays the place in a positive light.

My opinion is it's a cracking venue and a symbol of the Keel Square area's regeneration, with a much better feel about it.

Last edited:

Never seen so much malice or ill feeling towards a pub in my life for having rebranded itself and bettered its business.

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, there's a certain crowd on Facebook who really despise the Peacock and miss the days of the Londonderry, and they take maximum offense to anything that portrays the place in a positive light.

The Borough is hated on here for similar, just the other way round to what happened with The Peacock.

There's plenty of pile it high, sell it cheap, places for the former clientele of the Londonderry to go to. Joseph's, Borough, Beehive, Vesta Tilleys. Room for both type of pubs.

My opinion is it's a cracking venue and a symbol of the Keel Square area's regeneration, with a much better feel about it.
Was never a regular but the only way it is better to me is Music quality upstairs. Seems to be closed a lot more than Londonderry was but that might be post covid stuff. Be interesting to see barrelage comparisons from then to now though

Yea I've read their negative crap too.
Typical comment was it will never be as good as the Derry then admitted in another post that he'd never been in the Peacock!!

The Peacock is a quality pub/eatery/music venue and the staff are class.

Londonderry was shite. The Peacock is good.
The Borough is hated on here for similar, just the other way round to what happened with The Peacock.

There's plenty of pile it high, sell it cheap, places for the former clientele of the Londonderry to go to. Joseph's, Borough, Beehive, Vesta Tilleys. Room for both type of pubs.

Tbf The Borough is horrendous. Crap drinks, neon lights and vile music blaring.

Can't imagine what it's like in there given it was Billy Charlton's hangout.

Peacock is a cracking place that brings a lot of positivity to the City in the way music.

If you were visiting Sunderland for the first time for the Empire/Fire Station or whatever, what would you rather visit? The Peacock or The f***ing Londonderry.

Even just the fact it doesn’t stink anymore is a huge win for the Peacock.

There was a lad on the Sunderland Media Page..i think it's called that..absolutely hammering the place last night..saying why are the page always giving it free publicity when it's a shitty little pub..etc..i've been to see the Skids acoustic and Red Alert last summer and i think it's a cracking little venue for music..Punishment of Luxury are on in October along with my mates band Cazimi..should be a cracker that like.

If you dont like it, dont go, it's not that hard tbf. Looks like they've done it out nice, has a better clientele, has food and puts live music on. Can't see how any of that is a bad thing.

Ive only been in a couple of times but I'm very rarely in the town centre these days tbf.

I didn't used to mind the Derry a couple of decades back but it was pretty grim by the end tbf. Needed a change. I mis Flares more even though it wasn't the best bar either, had some good times in there dancing to disco and being abused by middle aged women.

Back