The one gig you could have been at but weren't (had to have actually been able to attend)

I was about to purchase tickets for this (below) gig at Madison Square Garden whilst me and Mrs Kaplan were in New York in 2009. But she didn't want to go because the seats were only at the side of the stage. Couldn't persuade her with any of the '... but it's Bruce Springsteen and the e street band in New York... and we're here... and we can go...!!"

Gil Scott Heron at Newcastle Riverside around 89-90 time. Chose to go to a rave instead but I went to raves every week, so could have easily duffed one night. Still gutted I never went. :lol:
Saw him at Newcastle Mayfair around 1986 but my Mam wouldn’t let me borrow her car we we had to leave early for the last train.

Two that stick out for me are Japan - was it 1984 - when it turned out to be their last tour. The Oil on Canvas CD / DVD has a class collection of songs but the filming is really fuzzy.

Biggest regret is Live Aid. Dunno why I didn’t make more effort. Maybe I just assumed it was out of reach but I do remember getting increasingly excited about watching it and was glued to the telly all day and night. Afterwards a couple of mates at school who weren’t nearly as committed music fans as me said they’d been and I was gutted I didnt go.

I did go to the Nelly Melly show in 1988 in the hope that it would be as good. They were clearly trying to recreate the same sort of scene and it was canny but of course nowhere near as good. I recently read on wiki the back story of the difficulties of getting it off the ground, Stevie Wonder losing his floppy disks etc. 😄

Saw him at Newcastle Mayfair around 1986 but my Mam wouldn’t let me borrow her car we we had to leave early for the last train.

Two that stick out for me are Japan - was it 1984 - when it turned out to be their last tour. The Oil on Canvas CD / DVD has a class collection of songs but the filming is really fuzzy.

Biggest regret is Live Aid. Dunno why I didn’t make more effort. Maybe I just assumed it was out of reach but I do remember getting increasingly excited about watching it and was glued to the telly all day and night. Afterwards a couple of mates at school who weren’t nearly as committed music fans as me said they’d been and I was gutted I didnt go.

I did go to the Nelly Melly show in 1988 in the hope that it would be as good. They were clearly trying to recreate the same sort of scene and it was canny but of course nowhere near as good. I recently read on wiki the back story of the difficulties of getting it off the ground, Stevie Wonder losing his floppy disks etc. 😄
Saw Gil Scott Heron at a GLC free concert mid 80s and saw Japan support Blue Oyster Cult.

The second one was weird.

Saw Gil Scott Heron at a GLC free concert mid 80s and saw Japan support Blue Oyster Cult.

The second one was weird.
During their brief glam phase?
I believe The Jam supported BOC, probably in America, which probably contributed to their lack of popularity over there. Hardly a coup for the promoters eh?

During their brief glam phase?
I believe The Jam supported BOC, probably in America, which probably contributed to their lack of popularity over there. Hardly a coup for the promoters eh?
It was early in their career. I actually watched them and I very rarely watched support bands.

No idea who thought it was a good idea :lol:

Queen - St James Park - 1986. Had the chance of a ticket but said No thinking I could see them again on the next tour. Never got the chance...
If it makes you feel any better I was there but can't remember a single thing about it. Might as well not have been although I think I must have enjoyed it at the time.

The one that sticks in my mind was Guns'n'Roses supported by Faith No More and Soundgarden at Gateshead Stadium, June 16th 1992.

It was the Use Your Illusion tour, when they were at their absolute peak, Faith No More eight days after the release of Angel Dust, their absolute peak, and Soundgarden post- Badmotorfinger when they were just about to reach theirs.

I had an exam that day.

Absolutely gutted.

Last edited:
My worst festival choice was t in the park 95.
As the prodigy came on stage I went to watch elastica play the 2nd stage. They were all over the place and half arsed.
Caught the last bit of the prodigy.
I'm an idiot to have missed that set, looked amazing!

The one that sticks in my mind was Guns'n'Roses supported by Faith No More and Soundgarden at Gateshead Stadium, June 16th 1992.

It was the Use Your Illusion tour, when they were at their absolute peak, Faith No More eight days after the release of Angel Dust, their absolute peak, and Soundgarden post- Badmotorfinger when they were just about to reach theirs.

I had an exam that day.

Absolutely gutted.
I had a couple of lads in my class at school who went to it, the jammy sods

Buzzcocks/Joy Division at NCH. Stayed playing pool in The Blandford.
The lad across the road had a spare but I declined and did my O Level Maths homework instead reasoning that Joy Division no doubt would be touring again in the summer.:cry:

Had a ticket for REM at City Hall in May 89. I sold my ticket to a lad at work and elected to watch the Liverpool v Arsenal decider on ITV....mind you I enjoyed that immensely.:lol:

Nirvana's last gig in Newcastle....told me mate I would go next time they played

Turned down tickets to a gig in a pub called the peel in Kingston which turned out to be Ash in a secret warm up for their tour

Same here. Not sure why I didn`t go. Maybe I it was down to money as I was in the 6th form at the time but maybe as none of my mates were that fussed about going but I recorded the whole thing on VHS and taped the entire coverage of the radio. I was working at weekends too in a pub so maybe that was another reason. Just wish I`d gone.

I missed Queen at SJP the following year which I regret but think I may well have been slumming it on Inter Rail at the time.

Two that stick out are KISS at Bingley Hall in 1980 but I wasn`t allowed to go to gigs then full stop, let along travel down there and the second was RUSH on the Signals tour. Again I wasn`t allowed to go as it was slap bang I the middle of my O`levels.

Another that spring to mind is Dio in 1984 with Queensryche in support. I was in Richmond on a Biology/Geography field trip. Me and a couple of my mates begged the teacher to let us go home for the evening but no, we had to stay for the full week.

The other miss for me was Stevie Salas who was supporting 24/7 Spyz at the Riverside. He had been Rod Stewart`s guitarist, had worked with George Clinton, Terence Trent D`Arby, Was (Not Was) and was like a very Funky Hendrix. had my tickets, turned up at the Riverside wondering why it looked quite quiet and as I approached the door with my ticket, the bouncer looked at it and told me that the show was the previous night. I was gutted. heard the place was absolutely banging as well. That`s the first and only time that I`ve put a gig date in my diary at the wrong day by mistake. I interviewed Salas a couple of months ago and told him the story and he had a good laugh about it.

I had an exam that day.

Absolutely gutted.
I was there. It was a really sunny day and the show was amazing although at times GnR did ramble on a bit with instrumental interludes but it was a great day.

Last edited:
Bowie at the arena , turned it down so my dad took my brother

Was that the opening night of the arena?
Morrissey was supporting but pulled out (surprise!) So they struggled to shift tickets, got offered free ones but wasn't arsed.
Never saw Bowie, wish I had.

Back