The night sky

Status
Not open for further replies.

The size of the universe.

I read recently that due to the number exoplanets being discovered it is now clear that planets around stars are a very common thing.

It is estimated that there could be up to a trillion planets in our galaxy (the milky way) alone and that there are up to 200 billion galaxies but this estimate is expected to increase as telescope technology improves.

It was once said that there is a star for every grain of sand on earth, that has since been changed to 10 stars per grain of sand - wow just wow.

I read recently that due to the number exoplanets being discovered it is now clear that planets around stars are a very common thing.

It is estimated that there could be up to a trillion planets in our galaxy (the milky way) alone and that there are up to 200 billion galaxies but this estimate is expected to increase as telescope technology improves.

It was once said that there is a star for every grain of sand on earth, that has since been changed to 10 stars per grain of sand - wow just wow.
Staggering statistics. Incredibly, they still don't know what gravity is though.

More plausible than the Big Bang theory - more and more scientists are confirming iirc.

No they aren't - more are speculating on alternative theories of creation but the only evidence we have points towards the big bang as the only current credible theory (although what was there before the big bang is another question)

Yes they do. Its a deformation of space-time. What they are unsure of is why gravity is so much weaker than other forces and have suggested that it may be 'leaking' into another dimension.

Nearest is 4.22Ly and the next is 4.3Ly.

I read that - they think gravity as a force acts across multiple dimensions so is weakened, mind blowing stuff.

I find the night sky and universe utterly spell binding .To even consider the thought that we are alone is laughable to me .
Universe is absolutely teaming with life imo ,how can it not be ,?

I love going out looking for out of the ordinary things. The bairns have been dragged out of bed and taken round the field to watch meteors or the blood moon etc.

A starry night sky is strangely soothing. I find it comforting and mind clearing just laying in the garden looking up at it in amazement. Neighbours probably think I'm mental laying on a sun lounger in the dark wrapped up in a blanket mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back