The night sky

A Creator is no more plausible than the Big Bang because the question would arise what created the Creator.

I hear ya, the whole - how can something come from nothing argument.

Absolutely- but when faced with the two options of Big Bang v a creator, I’d say there’s more proof towards a creator - bible etc.

I’m not even remotely religious btw.

I generally think wow, then assess how clear the sky is, then pick out constellations and well known stars while looking for planets.

I love going out looking for out of the ordinary things. The bairns have been dragged out of bed and taken round the field to watch meteors or the blood moon etc.

A starry night sky is strangely soothing. I find it comforting and mind clearing just laying in the garden looking up at it in amazement. Neighbours probably think I'm mental laying on a sun lounger in the dark wrapped up in a blanket mind.
They said the same about Van Gogh. Keep your ears on.

Best night sky sightings I had were from the Western Canaries, clear air, way out in the ocean, so a popular spot for observatories

I hear ya, the whole - how can something come from nothing argument.

Absolutely- but when faced with the two options of Big Bang v a creator, I’d say there’s more proof towards a creator - bible etc.

I’m not even remotely religious btw.

The bible is proof? A book written by unknown authors up to 2000 years ago about a time they had no concept of. Seems strange to treat that as proof why not the Aboriginal creation myth of dreamtime which has a longer history than the bible or the Naxi from South West China who believe we all came out of a big frog (or something like that)

Best night sky sightings I had were from the Western Canaries, clear air, way out in the ocean, so a popular spot for observatories

We were on the north tip of Ibiza once in a tiny resort. We walked around the headland away from the lights and lay on the beach and watched the Perseid's. It was amazing.

I was up in the mountains in the middle of taiwan about 2500m altitude - I hadn’t realized how many stars where in the sky till I saw them, amazing to look at.

Best I will probably ever see was down in the Falklands, now there's a place with no light pollution.

There was a few nights when we could see a brilliantly bright star; which turned out to be Venus. I've been trying to get the kids into stargazing, given that we have loads of dark sky spots around the north-east. Hopefully at least one of them takes an interest.

Best I will probably ever see was down in the Falklands, now there's a place with no light pollution.

There was a few nights when we could see a brilliantly bright star; which turned out to be Venus. I've been trying to get the kids into stargazing, given that we have loads of dark sky spots around the north-east. Hopefully at least one of them takes an interest.
You'll see Venus tonight if you look to the North West, been shining bright all week

why do my feet feel wet

I love knowing I came from the stars and find comfort in the fact that one day I will return there just fascinated by the universe(s)

What's the first thing you think about when you look up at the stars?
The Sherlock Holmes joke:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night, and go to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend.

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replied, "I see millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?"

Watson pondered for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets."
"Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo."
"Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three."
"Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant."
"Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow."
"What does it tell you, Holmes?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke: "Watson, you idiot. Someone has stolen our tent!"

The Sherlock Holmes joke:

Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson decide to go on a camping trip. After dinner and a bottle of wine, they lay down for the night, and go to sleep.

Some hours later, Holmes awoke and nudged his faithful friend.

"Watson, look up at the sky and tell me what you see."

Watson replied, "I see millions of stars."

"What does that tell you?"

Watson pondered for a minute.

"Astronomically, it tells me that there are millions of galaxies and potentially billions of planets."
"Astrologically, I observe that Saturn is in Leo."
"Horologically, I deduce that the time is approximately a quarter past three."
"Theologically, I can see that God is all powerful and that we are small and insignificant."
"Meteorologically, I suspect that we will have a beautiful day tomorrow."
"What does it tell you, Holmes?"

Holmes was silent for a minute, then spoke: "Watson, you idiot. Someone has stolen our tent!"
Those greetings cards can be funny sometimes

I look into the sky (the love you need ain't gonna see you through)
And I wonder why (the little things you planned ain't comin' true)
Oh, oh, telephone line, give me some time, I'm living in twilight

Back