The new "Durham Cricket League"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I note that the new league is to include 26 teams

Does this mean that Norton and Horden are not joining the NYSD league

I note that the new league is to include 26 teams

Does this mean that Norton and Horden are not joining the NYSD league

Heard yesterday that Horden have an application into NYSD but it went in after the deadline that is normally imposed by that league for applications - so they might not get in and the Durham League are still working on the basis that Horden will be joining them rather than the NYSD for the time being.

If that happens, Whiteleas have apparently been lined up to make up the 26.

Thanks Sweeper

I wonder if there will be promotion and relegation between the NEDL and the new league when the revised pyramid system is in place

If that happens, Whiteleas have apparently been lined up to make up the 26.

Its going to be a busy old season.......at least 3 more fixtures? Theres going to be a lot of commitment for the players, any idea how the cups are going to be handled?

lets hope you get a better summer next year :)

Its going to be a busy old season.......at least 3 more fixtures? Theres going to be a lot of commitment for the players, any idea how the cups are going to be handled?

lets hope you get a better summer next year :)

Yes if we are to be 26 teams then it'll mean five "double" weekends (by my calculations from the last saturday in April through to the second saturday in September is 20 weeks).

I would imagine that cups will be quite straight forward - 26 teams would mean a 10-game 1st round with 6 clubs getting a bye into the last 16.

For a T20 competition in July and August - just guessing but would assume four groups - two sixes and two sevens maybe, with the top two from each group going into QFs and then four teams going into a finals day.

By far the most important question will be the league playing format though. To me it makes sense to go with timed cricket (which personally I'm a big fan of) as (a) 18 of the 26 clubs will have played timed cricket in their former leagues and (b) the NEPL play timed cricket and would presumably require us to do the same if we are to "link up" to a ladder system in 2015.

That said, I'm unsure as to how fiecely (if at all?) the County League clubs will fight to play overs cricket. Can anyone offer up some indication?

Last edited:
voting papers out, don't think i'll be standing for election

Got talking to someone high up in NE cricket circles at an U18 game last night and was told that its likely the junior setup will stay pretty much the same next season and consideration is being given to regionalising it after that which I assume means a Durham north league etc.

Also it looks like the beginning of the end of pairs cricket at U13 level.

DCB to take control of junior cricket in due course.

The Colonel said:
Got talking to someone high up in NE cricket circles at an U18 game last night and was told that its likely the junior setup will stay pretty much the same next season and consideration is being given to regionalising it after that which I assume means a Durham north league etc.

Also it looks like the beginning of the end of pairs cricket at U13 level.

DCB to take control of junior cricket in due course.

Pairs cricket is excellent, keeps everyone involved. The better players get their extra practise playing U15s, for the league etc anyway.

Pairs cricket is excellent, keeps everyone involved. The better players get their extra practise playing U15s, for the league etc anyway.

Just my opinion but I think retire at 25 or 30 is the way forward in U13s. Means plenty batters still get a chance but there is a bit more value on their wicket!

As someone who runs a U13 team i agree with that as everyone gets a bat and bowl and like you say keeps everyone involved, also shame it is not getting regionalised next year as most times its a nightmare getting kids and parents to places like south shields, marsden and gateshead in midweek, i imagine it will be same for them the travelling they got to do as well

As someone who runs a U13 team i agree with that as everyone gets a bat and bowl and like you say keeps everyone involved, also shame it is not getting regionalised next year as most times its a nightmare getting kids and parents to places like south shields, marsden and gateshead in midweek, i imagine it will be same for them the travelling they got to do as well

Disagree personally - I've managed u13 and u15 teams for the past 7/8 years and whenever I've seen a "normal" cricket playing side against a "pairs" cricket playing side in an outside cup match the game has been embarassingly one-sided. Pairs cricket does nothing to make kids value their wicket when batting.

For a lot of kids, a huge step towards early development is becoming confident playing with the hard ball. Until they get that it doesnt matter how good they are with a windball; they'll have to start again when they begin playing proper cricket.

Agree re the geographical point - junior cricket should eventually be regionalised to reduce travel time.

Changed my opinion on this one undoubtedly the better players at under 13 level are better off playing 'proper' cricket where they can begin learning to build an innings and bat time from an early age. Obviously when they're up against lads who've only played pairs cricket in outside cups / league rep games the lads who play 'proper' cricket have an advantage as they know the format and how to play it.
However this does nothing for the lads (vast majority) who might be a bit younger or haven't quiet developed physically or technically at that age who bat down the order and dont get much of a bowl. They quickly get fed up of making up the numbers and never progress because they dont get a chance to bat or bowl and when they do their up against the oppositions county superstar who's back on to clean up the tail and get his bowling average under 5 and so quickly get demoralised. Inevitably end up not coming back.

Pairs cricket ensures all the kids get an equal chance to develop. We tend to pair the better players against the better opposition lads and as such the lads who otherwise wouldn't get much of a look in now have as much chance of winning a game as the teams superstar does. Its more of a team game as everyone contributes in equal measure.

Depends what you want at 11/12/13 year old i'd say its more about enjoyment than anything else and as such pairs cricket is the best way to go for the majority of juniors.
Maybe wrong but I believe pairs cricket follows the ECB guideline for all under 13s league cricket as such it should be the format the new league uses.

Changed my opinion on this one undoubtedly the better players at under 13 level are better off playing 'proper' cricket where they can begin learning to build an innings and bat time from an early age. Obviously when they're up against lads who've only played pairs cricket in outside cups / league rep games the lads who play 'proper' cricket have an advantage as they know the format and how to play it.
However this does nothing for the lads (vast majority) who might be a bit younger or haven't quiet developed physically or technically at that age who bat down the order and dont get much of a bowl. They quickly get fed up of making up the numbers and never progress because they dont get a chance to bat or bowl and when they do their up against the oppositions county superstar who's back on to clean up the tail and get his bowling average under 5 and so quickly get demoralised. Inevitably end up not coming back.

Pairs cricket ensures all the kids get an equal chance to develop. We tend to pair the better players against the better opposition lads and as such the lads who otherwise wouldn't get much of a look in now have as much chance of winning a game as the teams superstar does. Its more of a team game as everyone contributes in equal measure.

Depends what you want at 11/12/13 year old i'd say its more about enjoyment than anything else and as such pairs cricket is the best way to go for the majority of juniors.
Maybe wrong but I believe pairs cricket follows the ECB guideline for all under 13s league cricket as such it should be the format the new league uses.

Coast League give everyone the chance to take part at u11 with every team needing to use at least 8 bowlers and batsmen having to retire at 20. They use a cricket ball and full pads however which can only be right - pairs cricket with a soft ball is so removed from proper cricket it's a practically a different sport.

At u13 it's five bowlers retire at 30. At u15 it's five bowlers retire at 50.

I think that's the best way to go. It's easy to summise that people will "get fed up" with proper cricket at an early age but in practise it doesn't (in my experience) happen much. This is however a little off topic for the thread!

I also think its up to those running the sides to show a bit of common sense. If a team bats first and makes 120+ then the opening bowler nips 3 or 4 out early then of course they should look to rotate more bowlers.

I agree pairs cricket has positives but valuing your wicket is something that must be done as early as possible. There is no benefit whatsoever for a kid to bat 4 overs, make 6 or 7 but out 4 times!

Coast League give everyone the chance to take part at u11 with every team needing to use at least 8 bowlers and batsmen having to retire at 20. They use a cricket ball and full pads however which can only be right - pairs cricket with a soft ball is so removed from proper cricket it's a practically a different sport.

At u13 it's five bowlers retire at 30. At u15 it's five bowlers retire at 50.

I think that's the best way to go. It's easy to summise that people will "get fed up" with proper cricket at an early age but in practise it doesn't (in my experience) happen much. This is however a little off topic for the thread!

No ones talking about using a soft ball, both 11s and 13s use a proper ball. Simply stating the new league should stick to ECB guidelines for each age group

No ones talking about using a soft ball, both 11s and 13s use a proper ball. Simply stating the new league should stick to ECB guidelines for each age group

Will be a sticking point for Coast League clubs I would imagine if that suggestion was to be made - very low opinion of pairs cricket amongst the coaches I've spoken with over the last few years.

It might get regionalised next year. The person I spoke with was reflecting on how the discussions had gone so far but they appeared to be at an early stage as they had to sort senior cricket out first.

Pluses and minuses in the pairs system but on balance I'd prefer it if they abolished it after U11's. Its easy to include everyone in "proper" cricket because all you do is reverse the batting order from one game to the next.

As for kids valuing their wicket - the deduction of 8 runs every time you lose your wicket (DSL U11's) should be sufficient to get the lads thinking.

My lad is in contention to play in one of the DSL U11 squads in the Just Sport trophy the week after next. If selected it would be his first "proper" match and it would be interesting too see how he copes both mentally and physically with going from batting for 4 overs to potentially batting double or even treble that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back