The new "Durham Cricket League"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sweeper

Striker
So, with the supposed u-turn from the renegade Senior League clubs, it looks very much like there'll be a 24(?) team "Durham League" playing eachother once next season, with the top half going into Durham League Division 1 for 2014 and the bottom half going into Durham League Division 2. This assumes that Horden are, as rumoured, applying to the NYSD.

As far as I'm aware the 24 clubs will be:

Bill Quay
Boldon CA
Burnmoor
Castle Eden
Crook
Dawdon
Durham City
Easington
Esh Winning
Evenwood
Hylton
Kimblesworth
Langley Park
Mainsforth
Marsden
Murton
Peterlee
Philadelphia
Ryhope
Seaham Park
Shildon
Silksworth
Tudhoe
Ushaw Moor

Obviously a lot will change between now and then, and it will be interesting to see how various clubs approach next season; in particular how much money clubs wil be willing to shell out in an attempt to secure a place in the upper tier.

However - how do we all see it going? Are their certain clubs that are nailed on to be top half, bottom half? Do we all think it'll work? Will it still be raining in 2014 and make all of this pointless?

Also - there are still playing conditions to sort out. I would expect that overseas pros will be permitted, and that it will be timed cricket - but I suppose it could go the other way.

The DSL must be gutted. They thought they were clever and had one over on everyone and now their league doesnt exist after this season. As for Durham City I'll await the DCL developments with interest too see where DC try and position themselves.

The DSL must be gutted. They thought they were clever and had one over on everyone and now their league doesnt exist after this season. As for Durham City I'll await the DCL developments with interest too see where DC try and position themselves.

Even in this era of 'spin' (no pun intended), even the deftest politician couldn't describe this as a win for the 'hierarchy' of the Senior League. It's been a truly embarrasing episode, completely of their own making.

Good idea that. Fair play to the above clubs for having a go at getting something in place. Will this new league feed into the NEPL2 if clubs want to go up?

Good idea that. Fair play to the above clubs for having a go at getting something in place. Will this new league feed into the NEPL2 if clubs want to go up?

When will the new league be able to promote clubs into the NEPL 2,seem to remember that there was a 3 year amnesty of promotion/relegation agreed with new clubs into NEPL2 so does that still stand ??

this is the latest news

Hi all,

Today's meeting took place at the Riverside between myself, Ian Lindsay (Durham Senior League), Roy Coates(Durham Coast league), Bob Jackson and Graeme Weeks(Durham Cricket Board).

Broad agreement was reached on the following:-

1.The new League will be called ' The Durham Cricket League'

2. Readers have expressed an interest in sponsoring the new League, and will meet with Bob Jackson very soon.

3. Nominations will be asked for from Clubs in the next week for Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Secretary(Statistics). Clubs will nominate by July 14th.

4. Clubs will then vote on the nominees in each category, but whoever is second in the vote for the Chair will automatically be Vice Chair. All this voting is overseen by the Durham Cricket Board.

5. Once the officials have been elected, they will meet(along with the current Chair of each League if not elected to one of the posts) and decide on the next vote for Clubs. This will be for the type of cricket to be played. Some discussion took place around this point, and the Senior League want the top division of the two to play the same rules as the Premier 2( 105 overs time cricket). This was opposed by Roy and myself and we have been asked to submit proposals by July 16th as to what kind of cricket we would like to see. Obviously I said we wanted overs cricket, but understood that if we were outvoted we would have to have a second option and it was agreed we could submit two.

6. In 2013 all 26 teams will be in 1 division, playing each other once. In 2014 the Leagues will probably split 14 to the top and 12 to the bottom, because in 2015 the top 2 will go into Premier 2 to make that League 12 clubs instead of the present 10. The Cricket Board insist that promotion and relegation through all Leagues will be compulsory, depending on ground conditions being satisfied.

7. The second divisions will exist in their own right ie just because your 1st team is in Division 1 does not mean your 2nds will be. That will be decided the same as the first teams after 2013. Fixtures will be sorted home and away accordingly.

8. Junior Leagues will operate the same as they do now. So our present teams will continue to play the same cricket against the same clubs, administered by an official such as Alan Stewart on behalf of the Durham League. No extra travelling is necessary for Juniors therefore.

9. Each league must deposit at least £1000 into the new League, and the Board will add £3000 to that amount.

10. An Executive Committee of the Officials plus 4 members from Clubs will meet monthly to deal with the day to day running of the League as well as discipline, with the minutes of those meetings being circulated to all Clubs within 3 days.. A full meeting of all Clubs will take place 4 times a year, and the Clubs will always have the power to override the Executive Committee on all matters.

11. No decision on Professionals could be taken, as that is up to the Clubs, but the Coast league accepted that there would probably be Overseas Pros. That is unconfirmed.

Myself, Roy and Ian have been asked by the Board to continue on the Committee of the League(if not elected) for the period of 1 year to help guide the new League and officials through what is going to be a very busy and difficult time. We have agreed to do this.

I have confirmed that neither myself nor George will be accepting nomination for any of the positions on offer.

Hope this allays your fears a little. We will have a full discussion on the matter at Wednesday's league meeting. I have forwarded your e-mail address to Bob for contact with each Club, as he asked me to do so for speed.

PLEASE MAKE AS MANY MEMBERS OF YOUR CLUB AWARE OF THE DETAILS OF THIS E-MAIL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, AS YOU WILL BE ASKED AS A CLUB TO MAKE SEVERAL DECISIONS VERY SOON.

Cheers,

Thanks for that.

Whats the implications - junior cricket wise - for NEPL clubs such as Hetton Lyons, CLS, South Shields, Sunderland and soon to be South Hetton - who all at the minute have their junior teams in the DSL structure?

I suppose I'm asking whether they will be accommodated in the new durham Cricket structure or not. If they arent then I'm assuming that the NEPL are to organise their own junior tournament.

Thanks for that.

Whats the implications - junior cricket wise - for NEPL clubs such as Hetton Lyons, CLS, South Shields, Sunderland and soon to be South Hetton - who all at the minute have their junior teams in the DSL structure?

I suppose I'm asking whether they will be accommodated in the new durham Cricket structure or not. If they arent then I'm assuming that the NEPL are to organise their own junior tournament.

I thought the plan was for the DCB to run all junior cricket and regionailise it ?

I thought the plan was for the DCB to run all junior cricket and regionailise it ?
thats was a plan that I'd heard of, however the lad in his post above seem to indicate that all of the new clubs in the durham cricket league will be staying in the junior leagues they are in now.

the missing link is what happens to the NEPL junior clubs in durham.

not sure if the DCB and the NEPL have had a discussion on that or as you say whether this is merely up to the DCB to decide.

When will the new league be able to promote clubs into the NEPL 2,seem to remember that there was a 3 year amnesty of promotion/relegation agreed with new clubs into NEPL2 so does that still stand ??

I thought it was 2 years?? Don't quote me on that though.

Furthermore, good work Short Leg. Good luck with it. I'm sorry if I've completely misread the situation but are you saying the current junior leagues will remain? So Brandon would still play Evenwood, Esh, Ushaw Moor etc?

I thought it was 2 years?? Don't quote me on that though.

Looking at short legs post above, his point 6 appears to suggest that in 2015
the top two clubs in the 'new' League will be promoted in NEPL2 (assuming their facilities are up to scratch?) to increase that League to 12. That would seem to suggest that there won't be promotion/relegation until the end of 2015?

6. In 2013 all 26 teams will be in 1 division, playing each other once. In 2014 the Leagues will probably split 14 to the top and 12 to the bottom, because in 2015 the top 2 will go into Premier 2 to make that League 12 clubs instead of the present 10. The Cricket Board insist that promotion and relegation through all Leagues will be compulsory, depending on ground conditions being satisfied.

got talking to a few lads today at a second team game I was at and they asked the question of why would the DCL want to play different rules to those of the NEPL when its the league you aspire to be in. It doesnt seem to make much sense to play different rules.

what are the objections to playing the NEPL rules in the DCL?

got talking to a few lads today at a second team game I was at and they asked the question of why would the DCL want to play different rules to those of the NEPL when its the league you aspire to be in. It doesnt seem to make much sense to play different rules.

In the County League's best case scenario, nothing would have changed. Originally when clubs expressed an interest to leave they were going to invite other clubs to join to take their place. Only the clubs who wanted to leave really had their eye on promotion and progression whilst the other teams from the County League were just happy where they were, same standard, same teams etc and on fairness I can see their point. Change is not always good. However their hand has been forced because the Cricket Board wants a proper pyramid structure in place.

All of the above means they may have to consider a change in overs, despite originally being against the idea. As far as promotion aspirations go though, I'm not sure all teams would want to go up and of course most County League sides probably wouldn't meet the ground criteria anyway.

Sorry if that makes nee sense, that's my take on the County League side of things anyroad!

short leg said:
this is the latest news

Hi all,

Today's meeting took place at the Riverside between myself, Ian Lindsay (Durham Senior League), Roy Coates(Durham Coast league), Bob Jackson and Graeme Weeks(Durham Cricket Board).

Broad agreement was reached on the following:-

1.The new League will be called ' The Durham Cricket League'

2. Readers have expressed an interest in sponsoring the new League, and will meet with Bob Jackson very soon.

3. Nominations will be asked for from Clubs in the next week for Chairman, Secretary, Treasurer, Assistant Secretary(Statistics). Clubs will nominate by July 14th.

4. Clubs will then vote on the nominees in each category, but whoever is second in the vote for the Chair will automatically be Vice Chair. All this voting is overseen by the Durham Cricket Board.

5. Once the officials have been elected, they will meet(along with the current Chair of each League if not elected to one of the posts) and decide on the next vote for Clubs. This will be for the type of cricket to be played. Some discussion took place around this point, and the Senior League want the top division of the two to play the same rules as the Premier 2( 105 overs time cricket). This was opposed by Roy and myself and we have been asked to submit proposals by July 16th as to what kind of cricket we would like to see. Obviously I said we wanted overs cricket, but understood that if we were outvoted we would have to have a second option and it was agreed we could submit two.

7. The second divisions will exist in their own right ie just because your 1st team is in Division 1 does not mean your 2nds will be. That will be decided the same as the first teams after 2013. Fixtures will be sorted home and away accordingly.

8. Junior Leagues will operate the same as they do now. So our present teams will continue to play the same cricket against the same clubs, administered by an official such as Alan Stewart on behalf of the Durham League. No extra travelling is necessary for Juniors therefore.

9. Each league must deposit at least £1000 into the new League, and the Board will add £3000 to that amount.

10. An Executive Committee of the Officials plus 4 members from Clubs will meet monthly to deal with the day to day running of the League as well as discipline, with the minutes of those meetings being circulated to all Clubs within 3 days.. A full meeting of all Clubs will take place 4 times a year, and the Clubs will always have the power to override the Executive Committee on all matters.

11. No decision on Professionals could be taken, as that is up to the Clubs, but the Coast league accepted that there would probably be Overseas Pros. That is unconfirmed.

Myself, Roy and Ian have been asked by the Board to continue on the Committee of the League(if not elected) for the period of 1 year to help guide the new League and officials through what is going to be a very busy and difficult time. We have agreed to do this.

I have confirmed that neither myself nor George will be accepting nomination for any of the positions on offer.

Hope this allays your fears a little. We will have a full discussion on the matter at Wednesday's league meeting. I have forwarded your e-mail address to Bob for contact with each Club, as he asked me to do so for speed.

PLEASE MAKE AS MANY MEMBERS OF YOUR CLUB AWARE OF THE DETAILS OF THIS E-MAIL AS SOON AS POSSIBLE, AS YOU WILL BE ASKED AS A CLUB TO MAKE SEVERAL DECISIONS VERY SOON.

Cheers,

Have passed this on in my club Brandon would be interested to know who you are if you would be prepared to reveal yourself ( pm perhaps)

The Colonel said:

If you apply this logic the entire pyramid would play the same rules though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back