The Mousetrap (Empire Theatre)

Went yesterday afternoon sat at the back of the stalls. The play was very good, some easy laughs and a couple of soap actors in it as well.

The bad was the audience. Where I was I had people snoring, ridiculous amounts of coughing, sweet wrappers being opened, talking and the same mobile went off multiple times which is an utter disgrace. It's probably the noisiest audience I've been in and I got to theatres regularly and the cinema weekly. I was with friends who were sat near the front and they could hear some of the coughing but otherwise it was fine so think it best to avoid the back of the stalls.

Lovely venue but they search your bags so don't take alcohol in (in a bag that is).

Went yesterday afternoon sat at the back of the stalls. The play was very good, some easy laughs and a couple of soap actors in it as well.

The bad was the audience. Where I was I had people snoring, ridiculous amounts of coughing, sweet wrappers being opened, talking and the same mobile went off multiple times which is an utter disgrace. It's probably the noisiest audience I've been in and I got to theatres regularly and the cinema weekly. I was with friends who were sat near the front and they could hear some of the coughing but otherwise it was fine so think it best to avoid the back of the stalls.

Lovely venue but they search your bags so don't take alcohol in (in a bag that is).
Couldn't believe it when people ordered to their seats and if came in a paper bag

Rustling allower ,I was waiting for John Wayne to turn up

f***ing mobiles. Get on my tits when you're trying to watch a performance.

Been this afternoon at the matinee and it was a bit disappointing to be honest.
It’s nothing to do with the acting abilities I just thought it was overrated and didn’t deserve its reputation.
Also sitting for over hours crammed in to tiny seating didn’t help either.
Also also I parked (eventually) in St Mary’s car park going around in circles yet there is one floor with mainly reserved only parking with the vast majority of the said reserved spaces empty. What’s that all about?

It’s nothing to do with the acting abilities I just thought it was overrated and didn’t deserve its reputation.
Also also I parked (eventually) in St Mary’s car park going around in circles yet there is one floor with mainly reserved only parking with the vast majority of the said reserved spaces empty. What’s that all about?
The new car park (back of Halfords) is prob as close and loads of spaces or use what was the Debenhams one. The council have nabbed spaces in St Mary's but as they own the car park, coukd argue fair enough. Free parking down towards the Kings Arms if dont want to pay. Got parked St Mary's Thursday night (Jane Godley Firestation) easy enough but Firestation much smaller venue. Loads of parking Sunderland in my opinion. If the bit outside the Empire is pedestrianised (might be access to Bridges rooftop) but certainly the blue badge holders will be miffed as no parking.

The new car park (back of Halfords) is prob as close and loads of spaces or use what was the Debenhams one. The council have nabbed spaces in St Mary's but as they own the car park, coukd argue fair enough. Free parking down towards the Kings Arms if dont want to pay. Got parked St Mary's Thursday night (Jane Godley Firestation) easy enough but Firestation much smaller venue. Loads of parking Sunderland in my opinion. If the bit outside the Empire is pedestrianised (might be access to Bridges rooftop) but certainly the blue badge holders will be miffed as no parking.
Never seen anyone use that new one

Never seen anyone use that new one
They should run a deal with the Empire, parking for a quid or something, Thursday night queue for ticket machine in St Mary's would definitely have been as quick for people to use the new one. I used it, plan was Isis for a pizza but walked down to keel Tavern instead, the way people go on think it was 2 miles rather than couple of mins.

Was shite when I saw it in London about 2 years ago so I hope the Empire’s production is better. The London one, which boasted about running every night for about 70 years, didn’t seem to know what it wanted to be - a proper whodunnit or a bit of a post modern pisstake. Some of the acting and the posh accents were so over the top that it had to be deliberate, while other actors seemed to be taking it quite seriously. It was a bit like watching a Comic Strip Presents version of a serious play. And everyone in the audience worked out whodunnit before the feckin interval 🙄.

I love going to the theatre and wish I did it more often so was disappointed at this.

Why do they need reserved spaces on a weekend
Need to get a grip of this as people stopped from convenient parking because of council jobs worths will put them off coming to town even more

Back