The Magical Moeen appreciation thread.

Just saw an astonishing statistic on social media - and thought, instead of sharing it in usual channels, I would start a thread dedicated to the beard that should be feared.

No need to get too heavy on this - but every time he does something magical, I'm going to give it a bump.

Anyway, here is the stat doing the rounds. This is an ALL-TIME stat too - not a new one despite the heavy bias to contemporary players.

Most wickets in 4th inns of Tests won by England:
  • MM Ali 52 @ 18.19
  • JM Anderson 52 @ 22.48
  • SCJ Broad 48 @ 22.79
  • RCD Willis 35 @ 15.77

Talk about a match-winner, eh...

Oooof - and another. Best post-war strike rate for a match-winning spinner? Warne perhaps? Mulli? Maybe Graeme Swann?

No, it's Moeen: Bowling records | Test matches | Cricinfo Statsguru | ESPNcricinfo

Thanks for sharing that mate. I'm not surprised one bit. The bloke is a ledge. I can't be the only one who absolutely adores him. His on field flamboyant silky left handed batting, his twirly offspin, and his off field persona. He's doing wonders for interracial harmony. Total package for me. Would love to have a pint with him. I always look out for articles and interviews about him. Turning into my fav player like.

Tin Hat on but I'm glad the unoffical ECB's positive quota system has worked a treat. His initial selection did raise eyebrows but im glad we did and he's in the team for years.

Cracking that. Just don't tell him he's our no.1 spinner ;)

Hahaha. He really dislikes that moniker doesn't he? Still thinks he's a batter first lol. At least he doesn't gan on like a bairn like the ginger ninja.

He's looked a lot better while working with a quality coach like Saqlain.

And having his mate Adil with him.

His and Adils stats are much better when saqi is around. I really hope that the penny pinching ECB hire him as full time spin coach.

I think when push comes to shove, he's going to have to find a way of dealing with being the only spinner, at least in England.

Though why the ECB won't give Saqlain a proper full-time contract remains a mystery to all. Without fail, when he's with the team the spinners bowl better. Not just Mo - all of them.

This. Saqi helps the kids at loughbrough too. Proper small time thinking by the ECB. Hope Ed Smith sorts it out.

And most importantly of all, a role model for young Asian cricketers to play the game and aspire to represent England. No praise is high enough for Moeen.

I've seen it in action mate. First hand. My Asian mates have started wanting to come to more and more England games.

Logon or register to see this image

Can't think of any cricketer i've liked more in 25 years of watching the game :cool:

He's starting to take wickets abroad too :cool:

I'm the same mate. Proper smitten. I wonder what it is that we find so alluring about him.
His ability with bat or ball?
His undoubted team spirit and camaraderie?
His cool calm personality?
That cover drive?
That booming six?
His willingness to transcend sport boundaries?
His good looks?
His sexy beard?

Last edited:

Thanks for sharing that mate. I'm not surprised one bit. The bloke is a ledge. I can't be the only one who absolutely adores him. His on field flamboyant silky left handed batting, his twirly offspin, and his off field persona. He's doing wonders for interracial harmony. Total package for me. Would love to have a pint with him. I always look out for articles and interviews about him. Turning into my fav player like.

Tin Hat on but I'm glad the unoffical ECB's positive quota system has worked a treat. His initial selection did raise eyebrows but im glad we did and he's in the team for years.

Hahaha. He really dislikes that moniker doesn't he? Still thinks he's a batter first lol. At least he doesn't gan on like a bairn like the ginger ninja.

His and Adils stats are much better when saqi is around. I really hope that the penny pinching ECB hire him as full time spin coach.

This. Saqi helps the kids at loughbrough too. Proper small time thinking by the ECB. Hope Ed Smith sorts it out.

I've seen it in action mate. First hand. My Asian mates have started wanting to come to more and more England games.

I'm the same mate. Proper smitten. I wonder what it is that we find so alluring about him.
That cover drive?
That booming six?
His good looks?
His sexy beard?
All that and more :cool:

:lol:
TBH mate just love him as a cricketer ;)

:lol::lol:

Fucks sake. Proper had to ruin the moment didnt you.

It is. He appears kind of disinterested.

It's funny this board didn't seem too keen on him after the Aussie series, but he's great and his stats as an all rounder put him in the same bracket as stokes.

Blessed are we with all our beautiful all rounders.

That cover drive?
That booming six?
His good looks?
His sexy beard?

Exactly the kind of craic we're looking for in the appreciation thread. Great work.

Think his beard needs a bit of a trim though. His hair too. I liked his meaner look versus the South Africans. An accident he was man of the series and spun rings round them? Maybe, maybe not.

Exactly the kind of craic we're looking for in the appreciation thread. Great work.

Think his beard needs a bit of a trim though. His hair too. I liked his meaner look versus the South Africans. An accident he was man of the series and spun rings round them? Maybe, maybe not.

:lol:

You never know mate. He obviously is trying out the baldy look because he's getting a bit thin on top. Like you say he should go back to his meaner number 1 all round look or ask Rooney for his butt doctors number.

The English cricket team have become an integral part of my sporting world (outside of SAFC). More so now than ever. It comes down to the fact we have so many class players who seem like genuinely good blokes. Who love playing cricket. Just like us.

Ali just fits in nicely with the team. I have gotten used to having him there.

Of course there is the (alleged) racial slur to add spice to Mo tearing the Aussies to pieces in the summer. Oh, I forgot, they're not like that anymore.

They're kernts mate. Always have been and always will be. No matter on how many hands they shake before the match. They'll revert back to type once it all dies down. Michael Clarke already giving it the large one.

Fourteen wickets @23 on pitches prepared for pace and bounce? Topping the wickets taken column (for England)? One of the few players to emerge from a poor tour with any sort of credit?

HAve a bump lad.

Fourteen wickets @23 on pitches prepared for pace and bounce? Topping the wickets taken column (for England)? One of the few players to emerge from a poor tour with any sort of credit?

HAve a bump lad.

Think he will get better now, after a lot of going round in circles, he can't say he hasn't had chances to bat in the top 5. He now knows he is number 8 and number 1 spinner

It's a shame because his batting is so so good on his day, but he just seemingly doesn't have the mentality for it.

Back to his defined role at number 8 which is good, we also now have a good replacement in Leach, who can perform a totally different role

Although they need to dispense with Rashid

Back