The Lake Poets

Known Marty since he was bairn, always been ridiculously talented and a genuinely lovely lad. Been a pleasure seeing him progress from singing Green day songs in his school band through to a laundrette in Durham, the Minister in town and now hopefully bigger and better things.

Where else are they are going to know him from. Hardly surprisingly really (unless they caught him at the miners' institute)
Just google him/ his band. There'll be info as to where he's played. Pick one of the older dates and say you saw him there. #no1uberfan.

Known Marty since he was bairn, always been ridiculously talented and a genuinely lovely lad. Been a pleasure seeing him progress from singing Green day songs in his school band through to a laundrette in Durham, the Minister in town and now hopefully bigger and better things.

I was at both them gigs. And durham cathedral. My dad is close mates with his dad, sure he was a footy coach.

I was at both them gigs. And durham cathedral. My dad is close mates with his dad, sure he was a footy coach.
Top bloke Keith as is the whole family. I'll no doubt have bumped into ya mate...they've been like a second family for 20 odd years. Marty's Aunty and Uncle - who used to play for Sunderland, are my kids' grandparents.

I am a bit of a folk fan anyway, having been brought up by a father who met my mother while playing the accordion in an Irish Ceilidh band. I think it's a very nice song but more than that, it's fitting that the producers saw fit to use a bit of music made in Sunderland and about Sunderland. They could easily have cherry picked a favourite song from elsewhere. It's a nice touch.

Some people moaning like c*nts

Its a good song, I think it touches people, including me

Listen, I agree that I don't like this crack in Sunderland about constantly looking back, ships, mines etc, decades ago and a generation have grew up with this, so a lot don't miss the f***ing ships etc. What I mean by that is Sunderland has a lot going for it, a lot, lets not just accept its a shithole, which is my main criticism of the documentary. By the way why is County Durham never mentioned? Absolute masses of Sunderland's support is from country Durham, not just this doc, in general, never mentioned.

PS, I do like the song and it made me think of me grandfatha, love it

To be fair, I think the lad addresses that exact point in the City by the Sea song he says;

It's hard where I come from from
And you do what dad did or you don't quite belong

Forget all that we will do what we please
There is life in this city by the sea

Time to move on but we don't need to forget the past or stop being proud of it.

Last edited:
I am a bit of a folk fan anyway, having been brought up by a father who met my mother while playing the accordion in an Irish Ceilidh band. I think it's a very nice song but more than that, it's fitting that the producers saw fit to use a bit of music made in Sunderland and about Sunderland. They could easily have cherry picked a favourite song from elsewhere. It's a nice touch.

To be fair, I think the lad addresses that exact point in the City by the Sea song he says;

It's hard where I come from from
And you do what dad did or you don't quite belong

Forget all that we will do what we please
There is life in this city by the sea

Time to move on but we don't need to forget the past or stop being proud of it.

Agreed, was pissed when I wrote that post mind.

Class song.

Martin is a top lad and it's great to see him get some recognition for his work. Guessing shipyards will take people back to his 2015 album , which will be great for him. Some of the stuff is too somber for me however, there are some very good tracks on there too. Your face and see you tonight are 2 of my favourites.

Mental when on in pubs and clubs for nowt
Think I read Phil Caffrey as special guest but he was on for nowt with Pat guesting a couple of weeks ago--short set admittedly.
Maybe Your ticket gets You a discount on the beer;)
Exactly. I think they're a cracking band and I've not seen them in some time, but a tenner?! Pfft! :lol:

I bought a guitar off his brother - had a ridiculous collection. No doubt still has. Nice fella.

Back