The king of the Fulwell End - Sammy Smith RIP

Status
Not open for further replies.
We played Oldham away on Good Friday 1978 and we were drinking in a pub on the Rochdale Rd.

Sammy was acting himself a bit and eventually the landlord had enough of him.

It must have taken 20 minutes before he finally persuaded him to leave the pub, at which point the barman let out a sigh of relief.

Within seconds Sammy appears behind the bar to the cheers of all of us.

How he got in via the landlords house nobody knew, but it was hilarious to see.

Happy days!!

I'm almost certain that was his first away game after his holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure following his Man City shenanigans!

I'm almost certain that was his first away game after his holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure following his Man City shenanigans!

That rings a bell ..... no wonder he was lively

I think it was his table top singing that upset the gaffer

I remember him from Burnley, either New Years Eve 1977 or the 2-1 with 9 men. We were in the pub next to the traffic lights. I think he pissed in a pint pot and chucked it on an open fire ..... what a stench that makes

Last edited:
Just been reminded by one of my mates the time, late 70s where Sammy was on the stage at the bluebird club at ninian park singing tell Laura I love her.

Motley crew of safc in that day being growled at by an equally motley crue of Cardiff fans. Think it was the day that the game kicked off at 1pm or so because of the rugby

Frankie Wheatley and slosher were there

Cardiff fan had a tattoo on his throat - blue dotted line with “please cut here” written along it :eek:

Remember that day now. Real eye opener. It was like the cantina scene from Star Wars :lol:

Just been reminded by one of my mates the time, late 70s where Sammy was on the stage at the bluebird club at ninian park singing tell Laura I love her.

Motley crew of safc in that day being growled at by an equally motley crue of Cardiff fans. Think it was the day that the game kicked off at 1pm or so because of the rugby

Cardiff fan had a tattoo on his throat - blue dotted line with “please cut here” written along it :eek:

Remember that day now. Real eye opener. It was like the cantina scene from Star Wars :lol:

I was with them and we were attacked walking down a long road to the ground, didn't end well for the locals.

I was with them and we were attacked walking down a long road to the ground, didn't end well for the locals.
It was rough as fuck that day. I was only about 17 and didn’t realise that Cardiff were lunatics

Round about the same time they played spurs in the fa cup at ninian park and kicked 7 bells out of them. Stories of spurs fans jumping back out of the turnstiles to get away from them

Crackers

George Forster was singing that day in the supporters club.

We lost 5-2 and it kicked off at full time as we crossed the road to the coaches

Just been told another one

December 1972 Sammy got chucked out of Fratton park with Sunderland losing 1 v 2. Kerr and Hughes scores late on to give us a 3 v 2 win

As my pal was walking back into the city to get the train back home he bumped into Sammy and told him the score

Sammy let’s out a massive cheer and ran round the corner. Next thing my pal says he heard a smashing of glass as Sammy picked up A brick and put the pub window out

Two from mR Lynn

1-Preston away 72 in the league. Sammy starts a pitch invasion to their end and about 300 SAFC follow him. We get to the half way line and there’s Preston boss Bobby Charlton, esteemed World Cup winner, watching in disdain at the shenanigans. Sammy stops in the centre circle and shouts “Alreet Bobby lad, how yer doing?” as though he was in The Beehive talking to a mate. Charlton’s face was absolutely priceless. Sammy continues the charge into the Preston end as though nowts a bother!!!!

2-circa early 80s and Sammy is doing the, erm, ‘charity’ footy card upstairs in the much missed Red Lion on Roker Avenue. £25 the winner. Card gets filled up and Sammy pulls the back of the card and reveals the winner and says ‘Dundee’. This excited young un screams “get in, that’s me” but quick as a flash Sammy says “United’ as in Dundee United and not Dundee and keeps the money!!!!

Two from mR Lynn

1-Preston away 72 in the league. Sammy starts a pitch invasion to their end and about 300 SAFC follow him. We get to the half way line and there’s Preston boss Bobby Charlton, esteemed World Cup winner, watching in disdain at the shenanigans. Sammy stops in the centre circle and shouts “Alreet Bobby lad, how yer doing?” as though he was in The Beehive talking to a mate. Charlton’s face was absolutely priceless. Sammy continues the charge into the Preston end as though nowts a bother!!!!

2-circa early 80s and Sammy is doing the, erm, ‘charity’ footy card upstairs in the much missed Red Lion on Roker Avenue. £25 the winner. Card gets filled up and Sammy pulls the back of the card and reveals the winner and says ‘Dundee’. This excited young un screams “get in, that’s me” but quick as a flash Sammy says “United’ as in Dundee United and not Dundee and keeps the money!!!!

Sorry to be pedantic but it was October '73 (the first away match I went to after the cup win).

Sorry to be a square, but that was a disgrace.

Totally agree. He should have just got community service

Last edited by a moderator:
Two from mR Lynn

Never knew the lad but bet hedve chinned the Coventry lot on Saturday after their Shenanigans

EDIT: Seriously ill but still hanging on.

Sammy smith a hero of my youth will be sadly missed by us all.. A true roker park lad with who could of written a book 10000 pages thick with his exeploits following his beloverd sunderland... Never forgotton by the older generation ...R I P MATE from your old pal hutch.

Someone hoy a picture up of him, i cant think who he is

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back