The Keepers - Netflix True Crime documentary

Status
Not open for further replies.

Son of Stan

Striker
The Keepers is being touted as the next Making a Murderer - it clearly isn't but what it is is a true story essentially about a murdered nun in Baltimore in 1969 which then unfolds into something more.

'What begins as a cold case unfolds into a horrific tale of systematic abuse, repressed memory and institutional rank-closing from the church, police and state prosecution department'.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ue-crime-breathtaking-brave-making-a-murderer
It's an uncomfortable watch and searching for Sister Cathy's murderer isn't what drives it, but rather the testimony of the many victims of sexual abuse and their struggle to be heard. Reminiscent of the film Spotlight - I'm three episodes in and would highly recommend it.

if systematic abuse means what i think it does then I w ill pass , it disgusts me to think people find this garbage entertaining in any way shape or form.

if systematic abuse means what i think it does then I w ill pass , it disgusts me to think people find this garbage entertaining in any way shape or form.
Did I say it was 'entertaining'? Most of the victims are taking part in the documentary and the issue is the wholesale cover up of the abuse.

The Keepers is being touted as the next Making a Murderer - it clearly isn't but what it is is a true story essentially about a murdered nun in Baltimore in 1969 which then unfolds into something more.

'What begins as a cold case unfolds into a horrific tale of systematic abuse, repressed memory and institutional rank-closing from the church, police and state prosecution department'.
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...ue-crime-breathtaking-brave-making-a-murderer
It's an uncomfortable watch and searching for Sister Cathy's murderer isn't what drives it, but rather the testimony of the many victims of sexual abuse and their struggle to be heard. Reminiscent of the film Spotlight - I'm three episodes in and would highly recommend it.

Cheers m8. Spotlight was brilliant so will definitely give this one a go.

Do you ever go out? :lol:

Just started this last week, seems OK.

Yeah thanks! I was out Thursday and in London all weekend. But I realise I've got a few TV related threads. However, I'm selective in what I watch- and I like talking about them. :lol: I don't watch soaps, gameshows or reality crap. Believe it or not the telly's not always on! :p

:lol: Just messin'! Glad to hear you don't watch bilge. That much was obvious, anyway. :)

Watched the start of it last night. Interesting me a canny bit so going to google it at work today and get more info on it.

Watched the first 3 episodes yesterday. It's a horrific story but not a patch on making a murderer. Don't think I'll watch the rest.

Watched the start of it last night. Interesting me a canny bit so going to google it at work today and get more info on it.
I've seen all 7 episodes and thought it was very well done. Absolutely dreadful in some parts and unbelievable how the Diocese of Baltimore behaved. Don't expect everything to be resolved however.

Finished watching this last night and thought it was really well done, horrible story like and I'm sure there are 100's more like it within catholic schools around the world. Not an easy watch by any stretch , reminded me of another doc I watched which I forget the name of with the priest who abused loads of boys and was passed from church to church. Irish fella he was I think or he pissed off to Ireland anyway, wanted to meet up with the kids he's abused at the end :neutral:

Yeah thanks! I was out Thursday and in London all weekend. But I realise I've got a few TV related threads. However, I'm selective in what I watch- and I like talking about them. :lol: I don't watch soaps, gameshows or reality crap. Believe it or not the telly's not always on! :p
Going to the bingo doesn't count pet.

Finished watching this last night and thought it was really well done, horrible story like and I'm sure there are 100's more like it within catholic schools around the world. Not an easy watch by any stretch , reminded me of another doc I watched which I forget the name of with the priest who abused loads of boys and was passed from church to church. Irish fella he was I think or he pissed off to Ireland anyway, wanted to meet up with the kids he's abused at the end :neutral:
It was well done I thought and it seems entirely possible that the priest was somehow involved in Sister Cathy's death. The way that the church closed rank was horrendous but not at all surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back