The Jam

How many on here saw them play Newcastle City Hall?

How many were at Whitley Bay Ice Rink?

How many were at the City Hall for the first Billy Bragg/Questions/Style Council tour?

I've been right back into them the past few weeks. The run of lyrics on Setting son's with Thick as theives, Private Hell, Little boy soldiers, Burning Sky, Wasteland, Saturday kids and Eton rifles is unequalled imo. Staggering to think he was around 20 when knocking it out. When you look at there entire output very, very few songs are gibberish when it come to lyrics. He's undoubtedly one of the greatest song writers ever. Fair play now trying to still push it making different music. Would be so easy to rest on the laurels and coin it in with greatest hit tours

How many on here saw them play Newcastle City Hall?

How many were at Whitley Bay Ice Rink?

How many were at the City Hall for the first Billy Bragg/Questions/Style Council tour?
All of the above. 82 and 83. Excellent

Also Weller last year. Tedious.

Last edited:
If the amount of people who said they saw them play at Whitley Bay Ice Rink actually saw them, there would have been enough people there to fill Glasgow Hydro.
TBF there were 2 concerts. I was definitely there. Still got the programme.....honestly.

Last edited:
If the amount of people who said they saw them play at Whitley Bay Ice Rink actually saw them, there would have been enough people there to fill Glasgow Hydro.
I'd started to lose interest by then and gave it a miss, after 5 years watching them. The Gift just didn't grab me, hence , i never seen The Style Council. The anger had subsided in Weller and naturally the electricity of his performance had gone.
I was back at The City hall though for his comeback in 92.

I'd started to lose interest by then and gave it a miss, after 5 years watching them. The Gift just didn't grab me, hence , i never seen The Style Council. The anger had subsided in Weller and naturally the electricity of his performance had gone.

The first three solo albums are excellent imo....the first one is very underrated.

Now see I thought people boasted about being there cos it was an early gig. Did they play the Ice Rink at an earlier stage in their career? I saw them, last ever tour shortly before splitting up, Newcastle City Hall 1982 (I think) and someone I was seeing was all "......I saw them at the rink" smug git. Of course anyone on here who says they saw them obv I believe.

All of the above. 82 and 83. Excellent

Also Weller last year. Tedious.

Saw Weller around the time of Wild Wood, superb. I've shied away from seeing him since, so as not to spoil the memories

Still have my ticket stub. I don't think I still have my "Solid Bond" t-shirt, and it definitely wouldn't fit me

Now see I thought people boasted about being there cos it was an early gig. Did they play the Ice Rink at an earlier stage in their career? I saw them, last ever tour shortly before splitting up, Newcastle City Hall 1982 (I think) and someone I was seeing was all "......I saw them at the rink" smug git. Of course anyone on here who says they saw them obv I believe.
They only played WBIR on Sept 28 and 29th 1982.
They played NCH On
April 3rd and 4th 1982
October 27th and 28th 1980
December 6th and 7th 1979
May 6th 1979
Nov 4th 1978
They played The Mayfair on November 18th 1977 and 1st July 1977
Middlesbrough Town Hall 8th July 1977
Seaburn Hall 17th June 1977

They only played WBIR on Sept 28 and 29th 1982.
They played NCH On
April 3rd and 4th 1982
October 27th and 28th 1980
December 6th and 7th 1979
May 6th 1979
Nov 4th 1978
They played The Mayfair on November 18th 1977 and 1st July 1977
Middlesbrough Town Hall 8th July 1977
Seaburn Hall 17th June 1977
Gosh I wonder if I have been misremembering all these years and people boasted about seeing them at Seaburn Hall, might be, were you there. I will believe you if you say you were.

Back