the high street is dead

Give over, Liking blows away the rest in that area, its the reason they employ a woman who literally stands answering calls one after another, busiest takeaway I have ever known which normally tells you somet.

Sunderland council need to be realistic about the business rates more like, when I have looked its the business rates that kills business viability not the rents which you expect to pay.

How many times does this need to be explained :rolleyes:

RATES ARE SET BY THE GOVERNMENT

You forgot Radio Rentals next to Boots in the market square. My ‘cousin’s Mam worked there and I always would stop in to say hello when I was home.

I can remember Timpson's Shoe Shop and the Post Office to the right of Boots

Can shops in the city centre apply for business rate relief being in an enterprise zone???? to mitigate from higher rates

(edit: just read the city centre hasnt had an enterprise zone status added)

Someone who only has one premises can apply for single business rate relief.

Last edited:
I can remember Timpson's Shoe Shop and the Post Office to the right of Boots

Someone who only has one premises can apply for single business rate relief.
Or rateable property is worth less than 18k
Or charity
Or hardship which normally covers start ups that expect a low income.

Best thing to do is start a charity, get council (friends/associates) help and grants to aquire a building open it as a pub/restaurant in an up and coming part of the city where the council (friends/associates) are investing heavily and receive free rates and watch everyone around you crumble. :lol:

No matter where you go these days, the vast majority of shops/restaurants/coffee shops remain the same. Off the top of my head Newcastle, Metrocentre, Durham and Sunderland all have Costa, Nero, Topshop, H&M, Clinton’s, JD Sports, Curry’s/PC World, Boots, Poundland, Next, Perfume shops all within a very drivable distance of each other. The options are boring!
Chains dominate the high street due to a lack of support and backing for local/start-up businesses. It’s such a shame.

Or rateable property is worth less than 18k
Or charity
Or hardship which normally covers start ups that expect a low income.

Best thing to do is start a charity, get council (friends/associates) help and grants to aquire a building open it as a pub/restaurant in an up and coming part of the city where the council (friends/associates) are investing heavily and receive free rates and watch everyone around you crumble. :lol:

I think you might have problems getting that one past the Charity Commission.

About Sunderland Music, Arts and Culture Trust

The Sunderland Music, Arts and Culture Trust is a registered charity with the Charity Commission (1150733)

:oops:

Aye, but they don't have premises in high footfall areas usually. Rent and rates are fairly low anyway.
I know that’s the point. Register as a charity, get council funding from associates on the council to open a restaurant/pub miraculously in a part of town that the council are investing heavily in and apply for free rates.
I sound like a parrot.

I know that’s the point. Register as a charity, get council funding from associates on the council to open a restaurant/pub miraculously in a part of town that the council are investing heavily in and apply for free rates.
I sound like a parrot.

But not "everyone around is crumbling". It's revitalised that part of town. You moan when nowt happens, you moan when summat does.

I never moaned. I said that’s what people should do. Read my post. I think it’s great mate. Wish I knew them that well. That’s not sarcastic either.

Well good luck with that. How easy do you think it is to set up a charity?

The board of trustees of the MAC Trust are all prominent figures in Sunderland life. I'm glad they're using their knowledge, expertise and contacts to improve the town. They've saved the fire station from being knocked down and the Derry being turned into a Costa so far. Onwards and upwards.

Back