the high street is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone remember when the high street was full of TV hire shops? I think Sunderland had a Visionhire, Granada, DER, Redifusion and Globe rentals in the town centre at one time.

or is it?

i was bored at the weekend so had a drive around grangetown and the sea road area and some shops have queues out the door.

sell a quality product at the right price and people will lap it up. the internet is handy for books and insurance quotes but thats about it.
That's Mary porters patter but her guidance rarely works

He's talking the butchers on the best Bbq weekend I'm years

Not exactly Knightsbridge but the Nook in Shields always seems busy.
The only real "High Street" left in the North East is Bridge Stret Morpeth.

or is it?

i was bored at the weekend so had a drive around grangetown and the sea road area and some shops have queues out the door.

sell a quality product at the right price and people will lap it up. the internet is handy for books and insurance quotes but thats about it.
Best weather this year?
Your bored?
So you drive around grangetiwn and sea road :lol::lol:
You should have taken in vilette road too. Some lovely shops down there with great produce. :lol::lol:

Most the highstreets round where I live are doing a decent trade

Epping, Loughton, Ongar.

Lots of food places but lots of independents too. get shop closures but they generally don't stand empty for long.

or is it?

I've seen some stuff about this and it seems the general opinion is that "high end" clothing shops and so on will still do ok and of course local shops like hairdressers likewise. It is the big chains like Homebase and Mothercare which sell medium price gear which are going to the wall. They've got too big and overstretched themselves. Out of town shopping malls are collapsing in the States and I think that will be repeated here.

or is it?

Long live the high street?

Anyone remember when the high street was full of TV hire shops? I think Sunderland had a Visionhire, Granada, DER, Redifusion and Globe rentals in the town centre at one time.
You forgot Radio Rentals next to Boots in the market square. My ‘cousin’s Mam worked there and I always would stop in to say hello when I was home.

You've picked the poorest quality butcher on that street (Fulwell Butchers is the best these days) and one of the poorest takeaways.

Sea Road has always done well.

Give over, Liking blows away the rest in that area, its the reason they employ a woman who literally stands answering calls one after another, busiest takeaway I have ever known which normally tells you somet.

They need to start being realistic with rents & start dropping them or end up with a shop that no one wants.

Sunderland council need to be realistic about the business rates more like, when I have looked its the business rates that kills business viability not the rents which you expect to pay.

Last edited:
Give over, Liking blows away the rest in that area, its the reason they employ a woman who literally stands answering calls one after another, busiest takeaway I have ever known which normally tells you somet.

Sunderland council need to be realistic about the business rates more like, when I have looked its the business rates that kills business viability not the rents which you expect to pay.
If the rates are reduced what's the betting that the Landlords will take it as an opportunity to increase the rents.

I always buy clothes from the net but I usually attempt to try them on first in an actual shop because of the amount of times I’ve ordered stuff and they’ve been slightly out.

They don't set the business rates.
Business rates: How your rates are calculated

or is it?

I like your optimism, but in "high street" they usually mean town and city centres

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back