The great allrounders

He isn't but if you bat and bowl you gain points as an all rounder on the rankings.

Ditto if you are a batter who bowls, you will end up in the bowling rankings. Root/Elgar/Williamson/Braithwaite all in the top 100 bowlers.
Laubaschagne ranked higher than Overton!!!
I know, it was his assertion that because Starc was on that list he should be considered an all-rounder that I disagreed with. All I meant is that just because they're on the ICC's all-rounder list doesn't mean they meet the definition of what most people would describe as an all-rounder. I don't think Starc's batting is good enough for that consideration, he's not awful but no first class side would pick him just for his batting.

I know, it was his assertion that because Starc was on that list he should be considered an all-rounder that I disagreed with. All I meant is that just because they're on the ICC's all-rounder list doesn't mean they meet the definition of what most people would describe as an all-rounder. I don't think Starc's batting is good enough for that consideration, he's not awful but no first class side would pick him just for his batting.
Aye replying to the wrong person in this really.

He's sixth in the list, you don't get to the top of the ICC all-rounder rankings without being good with both bat and ball. If Paul Collingwood can be considered an all-rounder with a bowling average of 60, Starc can with a batting average of 23.

Chris Cairns great all rounder and massively underrated

One of my all time favourites, absolutely loved Chris Cairns. But for injury he surely would have been mentioned in higher esteem than he is. Over 3000 runs at almost 34, 218 wickets at 29 and he was always great to watch. Once asked me to drop in his hotel keys after a Notts game at Scarborough too.

I know a lot will disagree, but I absolutely love watching Shakib Al Hasan play. Great thinker of the game and has quite regularly made top batsman look very mediocre.

Kallis the best for me. The bloke an absolute machine.
Hadlee the best bowler, Kallis the best bat.

Kapil Dev carried a mediocre Indian attack for a lot of years.

Sobers I suppose was the complete all rounder as he could also bowl spin. His bowling not in the class of the all rounders mentioned though although his batting would be above all other than Kallis imo.

Imran a phenomenal bowler but despite better average than Beefy I’d say Botham was the best bat of that golden era.
As has Stokes in a test match ;)

Talking allrounders for me it should be genuine allrounders. Where their bowling and batting was of an equal great standard.

Sobers was a million times better a batsman, Akram, Streak, Beneau Pollock miles better bowlers imo. Then you’ll have people suggesting Wicketkeepers etc...

So genuine allrounders you have Kallis, Botham, Probably Stokes, Beefy, Dev, Imran imo.

Chris Cairns great all rounder and massively underrated
In a day and age when players had real technique and not everyone was a glorified slogger like these days, he was genuinely someone who could belt it miles.

Last edited:
Talking allrounders for me it should be genuine allrounders. Where their bowling and batting was of an equal great standard.

Sobers was a million times better a batsman, Akram, Streak, Beneau Pollock miles better bowlers imo. Then you’ll have people suggesting Wicketkeepers etc...

So genuine allrounders you have Kallis, Botham, Probably Stokes, Beefy, Dev, Imran imo.

In a day and age when players had real technique and not everyone was a glorified slogger like these days, he was genuinely someone who could belt it miles.
Sobers got 235 test wickets. He definitely counts

Not a bowling all rounder, but Gilchrist was a tremendous keeper and game changing batsman..he changed the role of the keeper and they all aspire to be like him. I think he scored a test hundred off 57 balls once?!? Amazing.

Back