The Fishing Thread

Big Jeff

Winger
Seeing as there is a bit of criticism about us fishermen hijacking the whitehouse/ Mortimer thread I started this one for your fishy stories, bait info, hot spots, best catches anything you like.

Fill ya boots sea, game, coarse anything goes.

That bait worked iirc
Got yourself a prize Mux
Seeing as there is a bit of criticism about us fishermen hijacking the whitehouse/ Mortimer thread I started this one for your fishy stories, bait info, hot spots, best catches anything you like.

On behalf of @Shandy drinker

Does the hook hurt a fish's lip?

Last edited:
Aye sorry but we do have a few barbarians in our midst.

We need to do all we can to fish responsibly.

It makes me angry when I see scratters walking off the pier with ASDA carrier bags stuffed full of mackerel.

Most anglers appreciate this but we need to do more like taking discarded line home and not leaving old bags of bait scattered all over.

As if anyone would share their favourite marks! I will however share the fact that I recently switched to Berkley Trilene (from some Daiwa rubbish) and it's like night and day. Really strong line with a noticeably reduced diameter.

As if anyone would share their favourite marks! I will however share the fact that I recently switched to Berkley Trilene (from some Daiwa rubbish) and it's like night and day. Really strong line with a noticeably reduced diameter.
Great line Trilene I have used it straight through (30lb) for years.

I like Diawa Tournament for lighter distance fishing - for example if you want to work a spinner over a lot of ground.

I use it with my amorphous whisker and can hit the horizon on a good day!!

Logon or register to see this image

My favourite Barbel swim on the mid Thames that is a backwater fed by a weir. Sadly a shadow of its former self and the Barbel appear to have moved off. Not caught one in 5 seasons now although fishing less.

If you got your bait just behind that sunken tree stump on the far bank, hold onto your rod as a Barbel would often slam into the bait just as it hit the river bed.

I use home made boilies, yeast flavour, fish flavour and you can imagine the fragrant smells when cooking. (John Baker mix the best I have ever used).
Fed over plenty of halibut pellets.

Caught a monster Chub of 7lb 4oz from this swim and bait.
Plenty of double figure Barbel.
Best day probably over 10 years ago now was 14 Barbel and 13 Chub in one session after pre-baiting these boilies throughout the close season.
Every time I cast out the rod tip was being pulled around. Unbelievable and was down the river at the crack of dawn.

Without doubt I intend to fish more when older and hopefully get the time.
Less dedicated than I was when younger and when the kids came along had less time to fish as they never really took to it and football remained the constant.
It’s the best tonic for me to escape life’s pressures. Absolutely love being in my own in the wilderness with nobody else around. Time to think, time to reminisce and time to just appreciate that this is life and nothing else really matters when fishing.
So lucky that I enjoy it and if only some that struggle with mental illness could fall into it then I’m sure it would help so many.
Mortimer and Whitehouse really hit home fishing from every angle.
I tie my own flies and have a big stock of natural materials but the new stuff coming out now is amazing. Some great fly tying vids on YouTube.

Love it mate.
Find things like this fascinating.👍

Last edited:
If your SERIOUSLY into fly-tying get a book called The Feather Thief to see the lengths some fly fishermen go to, incredible story and fantastic book 👍

Only a pity you were not a fair few miles more downstream.
A bottle of beer would be waiting for you in the rucksack mate.
Booked a day off, 2 weeks today and will once again try for an elusive Barbel.
Forgotten what they look like now !!

Back