The FA cup

Just make the ESL ffs.

Let them all go and we can worry about the domestic league. They can come back for the the FA cup if they want, but not the league cup.
Most of us would be happier if that happened

I fear an independent regulator will not be too independent, but I bloody hope I'm wrong as being in a "top" division of English football should not warrant as much as they get.

Like a top table of lords and ladies throwing the wild boar carcass down to the plebs.

Play too many games in a season?? Easy solution. Sack off a bunch of Champions League games and return it to a knock out. Job done. After all the FA Cup was there a long, long time before the CL and means much more to more people and teams than the CL where only half a dozen or so teams are bothered each season.
They can also give the players a proper close season off.
Yet so many clubs think nothing of jetting off around the world to play 6-to-10 lucrative friendlies.
I hope the super league takes off and the EFL expel them. It would be fun if they played each other 6 times a season.

I wonder who knows more about it. You or someone who sits on the actual board.

It’s a real head scratcher.

You are right, I wouldn't know shit about what happens in Footballs governance.

But I think the EFL does...

I don't tend to make things up for clicks.
Would you support an EFL boycott next season, I would?

Yes. Kick the EPL U-21 teams out of the EFL Trophy and allow the National League teams into either that or the EFL Cup instead. Let the EPL play for the FA Cup on their own. It'll disappear in two seasons.

Last edited:
You are right, I wouldn't know shit about what happens in Footballs governance.

But I think the EFL does...

I don't tend to make things up for clicks.

Yes. Kick the EPL U-21 teams out of the EFL Trophy and allow the National League teams into either that or the EFL Cup instead. Let the EPL play for the FA Cup on their own. It'll disappear in two seasons.
If the Football League clubs pulled out of the FA Cup, I think the Premier League clubs would soon lose interest, providing it didn't give a European qualifying place.
The majority of Premier League clubs are now American owned and their sports don't have knockout cup competitions.
But, would the FA allow this to happen ?
As this would diminish it's worldwide appeal if it was a Plymouth v Bristol City Cup Final...

@Guinness Guzzler any chance rawa prod the club on releasing a statement on this?

I mean they obviously won't. Think the mags debacle showed their true colours but still think a fans group should push on this.

100% agree with this
basically called the FA liars. Hopefully more clubs come out too.

Given our history with FA Cup replays, Sunderland AFC should be one of them.

I'm as pissed-off with the club on their silence over this as I am with any of their actions in the last 6 months.

I don't care who we draw in the cups next season, or how far we go in them, I don't see me going.

Some of my best days as a supporter has been following us on cup runs... now the cups are completely devalued by the overbearing shadow of the PL & TV money. I'm already paying to watch a U21 team playing in a senior league, I think the cups might be something I can live without.

Last edited:
Less and less games for the big boys which they’ll fill in with an expanded Champions League and Club World Cup.

It’s never been about playing too much and the welfare of the players - it’s about playing poxy clubs they don’t give a shit about.

They’d rather play Real Madrid and PSG in Saudi than play Tranmere in a Cup game.
Spot on mate
Good. Get rid of replays - and extra time.
Aye, maybe just keep it for the top 6 in the premier league as well, play all ties in Saudi including the final

Last edited:
As a kid, I grew up on the magic of "The Cup", you didn't need to call it the FA Cup as everyone just called it "The Cup".

The Slough Town v Wycombe replay in 1970, over 9,000 ffs. The never to be forgotten Hereford v Newcastle game is part of folklore but the fuckers at the FA are now saying it could never be allowed now.

I can remember the great tie between Arsenal and Sheffield Wednesday which went to 3 replays before Arsenal prevailed. Titanic struggles before Arsenal got through. I'm sure @wednesday1957 or @Visiting owl will remember them.

As a kid , I remember the Alvechurch v Oxford City tie went to 5 replays, even remember reading a report in the Daily Telegraph the next day.

Our own 1973 run included 3 replays, what are the chances of us winning 3 successive penalty shootouts? Let alone anyone who went to those games and enjoyed the game voted as the best ever at Roker Park. Equally the 1992 quarter final replay v Chelsea.

My home town team Slough Town played Grimsby in the Cup this season, drew 1-1 at home before being tanked 7-2 in the replay. Despite that , many of the Slough fans who went to Grimsby still went as they thought we had a chance, and coming back to 2-2 from 2-0 we did for a little while.

Here are Slough Town's thoughts.

It's a disgrace this decision has been taken to benefit 4 teams with the middle finger being given to the other 728 teams that entered this season's Cup. The FA'S hypocritical statement comes out with the crap over player welfare but as numerous others have said, the so called elite will then play exhibition matches in Asia, USA etc.

And how have they come to a decision to ban 1st and 2nd round replays when the teams from the greed league aren't even involved?

Bring on the football regulator.

Last edited:
I think they are targeting the wrong cup.
The league cup should become a competition for Championship and below league teams, no Premiere League.
Like the EFL trophy it would give Championship clubs a chance to win something, go to Wembley and give the Prem teams their rest.
It works for the EFL Trophy.

Back