The Damned United

I didn’t think it was that good. But the title is kind of fantastic which draws you in.
Apart from the annoyance of the book starting with him running up 'The Kop End' at Roker Park, I struggled with the theme that Clough was basically a lucky drunk and Peter Taylor was the real one pulling the strings.
I like David Peace as an author and he tackles subjects that interest me but there's always at least one annoyance in each book that gets right on my tits.:lol:
Still interested in seeing the play.

Apart from the annoyance of the book starting with him running up 'The Kop End' at Roker Park, I struggled with the theme that Clough was basically a lucky drunk and Peter Taylor was the real one pulling the strings.
I like David Peace as an author and he tackles subjects that interest me but there's always at least one annoyance in each book that gets right on my tits.:lol:
Don`t forget though it was written by A thick Batley lad so was never going to be pro Clough. Although in fairness Johnny Giles did him in court as well over his portrayal as the reason it went sour for Clough

I just looked at the passage at the start where he hurts his knee and it doesn't mention the Kop End just running into their penalty area. I thought the premise was more that him and Taylor were a team and needed each other to be at their best. The drinking problem does seem to be wrong and started later in his life.

I just looked at the passage at the start where he hurts his knee and it doesn't mention the Kop End just running into their penalty area. I thought the premise was more that him and Taylor were a team and needed each other to be at their best. The drinking problem does seem to be wrong and started later in his life.
It's years since I read it but it definitely mentions him running up the Kop End at Roker Park as it jolted. Maybe not right at the beginning.
Might need to check this but I think Taylor's family helped him and Clough's didn't which maybe made it a bit lopsided.

It's years since I read it but it definitely mentions him running up the Kop End at Roker Park as it jolted. Maybe not right at the beginning.
Might need to check this but I think Taylor's family helped him and Clough's didn't which maybe made it a bit lopsided.
If it did mention Sunderland's Kop, I missed because it would have jolted with me. He kept writing about our white shirts and Hartlepool's, which did jolt with me but was right. He usually does excellent research for his books. I think you're right that he didn't talk to Clough's family but he still portrayed lots of good stuff about him.

If it did mention Sunderland's Kop, I missed because it would have jolted with me. He kept writing about our white shirts and Hartlepool's, which did jolt with me but was right. He usually does excellent research for his books. I think you're right that he didn't talk to Clough's family but he still portrayed lots of good stuff about him.
Logon or register to see this image

As you say, he does his research and I assume he got the 57 steps from somewhere but the mention of the Spion Kop really jolted with me when I read it.
You did have me doubting myself though.:lol:

Clough openly admits in his book how important Taylor was to him.

All main terraced ends have been called Spion Kops in the past though I think. It's to do with a battle in South Africa (Boer War iirc).
Yeah that's where the name comes from, I just thought it was the name for some terraced ends in some grounds. Do you mean it was used as a generic term for the home terraced end?

Back