The Crown

What's everyones thoughts?

I've just finished the first 4 episodes of season 6. Loved all of them but episodes 3 and 4 were incredible. Not sure how much is fact and how much is fiction, but I think the parts which we know to be true are portrayed in a sensitive and kind way. Not a fan of William and Harry's castings, but Mo and Dodi Fayed, and Princess Diana were played brilliantly.
I think they've made Diana far to stuck up, or was that how she really was. She always was more girl next door than aristocratic.

Been absolutely slaughtered by the critics but I think it's a case of the critics taking themselves too seriously. It's been a bit like a soap opera this time round but generally it's been enjoyable.
Possibly has something to do with the way it portrays the media and the idea that anything goes when there's a story to be sold. Perhaps hits the critics in the media a bit too close to home.

Possibly has something to do with the way it portrays the media and the idea that anything goes when there's a story to be sold. Perhaps hits the critics in the media a bit too close to home.
Diana used the media and the media used her. lots of famous people have fairly private lives because they don't play that game. Once you hire a press agent or a marketing firm for your image then you lose the right to moan when the coverage intrudes into areas you don't care for.

Diana was a virgin sacrifice, not too bright but suitable, then she became the most famous woman in the world. She easily could have stepped back but she wanted to play.

Hey, she could have taken the bus in Paris. Probably one stops outside the Ritz or close by.

What's everyones thoughts?

I've just finished the first 4 episodes of season 6. Loved all of them but episodes 3 and 4 were incredible. Not sure how much is fact and how much is fiction, but I think the parts which we know to be true are portrayed in a sensitive and kind way. Not a fan of William and Harry's castings, but Mo and Dodi Fayed, and Princess Diana were played brilliantly.
I'm not a Royalist but have enjoyed watching The Crown. A bit soapier than previous series but it reflects the times I suppose. They've played fast and loose with the truth but that's to be expected in a drama. The actress playing Diana was very good as she irritated me as much as the real life one. I could have done without her returning as a ghost or vision - that device is a bit over-used these days.

I’ve enjoyed this season so far. Wasn’t expecting much as wasn’t a big fan of last season and saw what the critics said but it’s been much better than expected.

And the way people went on about the “ghost” scene I was expecting it to be awful but it was fine

I also find the whole thing quite educational, particularly the first 2 or 3 seasons, and in this one I never knew Dodi and Diana were only in Paris for that one fateful day. How things would have been different if they didn't go there. 😔

Diana used the media and the media used her. lots of famous people have fairly private lives because they don't play that game. Once you hire a press agent or a marketing firm for your image then you lose the right to moan when the coverage intrudes into areas you don't care for.

Diana was a virgin sacrifice, not too bright but suitable, then she became the most famous woman in the world. She easily could have stepped back but she wanted to play.

Hey, she could have taken the bus in Paris. Probably one stops outside the Ritz or close by.
She certainly did court the media attention when it suited her. I don't particularly know whether she tried to set any boundaries but was ignored, or just accepted that they would be after her regardless of where she was or what she was doing. Either way, it felt like the media crossed a line with the way they were hounding her when she was doing anything at all, banging on the car windows, chasing on motorbikes taking photos at high speed. It's hard to see what they thought that would achieve.

One thing I was slightly surprised the series only hinted at was the fact that the driver was 3 times over the drink drive limit, particularly as this is a well known fact about the circumstances of Diana's death. It seemed to suggest the crash only happened because of the paparazzi chasing the car.

Enjoyed the first few series but the last one was a struggle and I have little interest in watching the new one as it's still recent history. The trailers have seen make it look like a soap.

These last 4 episodes have been terrible, and I say that as somebody who has been its biggest fan. Very sad to see how it’s declined since the latest turnover of cast.

I think they've made Diana far to stuck up, or was that how she really was. She always was more girl next door than aristocratic.
She was already a 'Lady' when she got married so she was pretty much part of the aristocracy. For me, these episodes were actually better than I was expecting. If Mohammed Al Fayed was still alive I think he may have sued as they virtually blame him for Diana's death. Strangely, Charles comes across well in these first 4 episodes.

Back