The Cricketer Magazine March Issue

S

stephen cartwright

has a magnificent cover showing the back drop of Bamburgh Castle, whilst a cricket match is on, at the pitch below

It also has a picture of Ashbrooke and Boldon in a feature inside.

Never played at Bamburgh but managed to pass an hour sat with an ice cream watching whilst the dog slept off hurtling about on the beach after we'd walked up from Seahouses. Its a glorious setting for cricket. I've mentioned it as a possible tour option for our club travelling up from Derbyshire but we've never got around to organising it but i suspect there is a bit of a waiting list to get a game there. Former NZ international Iain O'Brien who lives close by and I know a bit from local cricket circles has already expressed an interest in coming with us should we ever get it sorted as its top of his list of places he wants to play a game.

Interestingly whilst the game was going on that day there were some older folk happily playing Croquet at the same time in one corner of the field and I like most sports and will try to understand whats happening but i had no idea what was going on with that!!

Never played at Bamburgh but managed to pass an hour sat with an ice cream watching whilst the dog slept off hurtling about on the beach after we'd walked up from Seahouses. Its a glorious setting for cricket. I've mentioned it as a possible tour option for our club travelling up from Derbyshire but we've never got around to organising it but i suspect there is a bit of a waiting list to get a game there. Former NZ international Iain O'Brien who lives close by and I know a bit from local cricket circles has already expressed an interest in coming with us should we ever get it sorted as its top of his list of places he wants to play a game.

Interestingly whilst the game was going on that day there were some older folk happily playing Croquet at the same time in one corner of the field and I like most sports and will try to understand whats happening but i had no idea what was going on with that!!
Great stuff this

Logon or register to see this image

Not the actual cover but you get the gist

Last edited by a moderator:
We're possibly there in June for the other halfs birthday so good chance there will be some cricket action on. The club has a website with fixtures on but still listing the 2018 games currently. Apparently they only play games on Sundays for whatever reason.

We're possibly there in June for the other halfs birthday so good chance there will be some cricket action on. The club has a website with fixtures on but still listing the 2018 games currently. Apparently they only play games on Sundays for whatever reason.
Every time i drive down towards Bamburgh Castle it amazes me of its size and location

I don’t think they could build an equivalent today

Every time i drive down towards Bamburgh Castle it amazes me of its size and location

I don’t think they could build an equivalent today
We visited Dunstanburgh Castle a bit further south one time we were up there and whilst now more of a ruin than Bamburgh it must have been just as imposing in its day. Nice little walk up there as well from Embleton across the golf course and\or the beach bit.

We visited Dunstanburgh Castle a bit further south one time we were up there and whilst now more of a ruin than Bamburgh it must have been just as imposing in its day. Nice little walk up there as well from Embleton across the golf course and\or the beach bit.
I love this coastline, since I was a little lad.

Certainly a favourite of ours, the walk from Seahouses to Bamburgh along the beach is brilliant especially with the dog who loves the wide open spaces of the beach. Recently spotted this house on Rightmove that is up for sale about a mile from Bamburgh and basically has the beach as a back garden...just a shame its £900,000!!

Check out this property for sale on Rightmove!

Budle Bay to Bamburgh is even better imo.

Certainly a favourite of ours, the walk from Seahouses to Bamburgh along the beach is brilliant especially with the dog who loves the wide open spaces of the beach. Recently spotted this house on Rightmove that is up for sale about a mile from Bamburgh and basically has the beach as a back garden...just a shame its £900,000!!

Check out this property for sale on Rightmove!
All that money and they have plastic chairs at the dining room table :lol:

Back