The club of County Durham

East Durham is not mag infested, there’s small pockets of them scattered about the collieries. I’d say East Durham is comfortably 80/20, maybe even closer to 85/15.

Depends where you are in East Durham. Peterlee, Blackhall and Horden has and always did have more Newcastle than Wingate, Trimdons Station/Colliery/Grange, Thornley and Wheatley Hill. I'd say more like 70/30 in places like Peterlee and Blackhall and more like 95/5 in the others. In terms of match going fans shift it more towards SAFC. The second best supported team in terms of match going fans in the 95/5 areas is Hartlepool. It changes as you start getting closer to Teesside: Trimdon Village, Fishburn and Sedgefield have more Newcastle and by the time you get to Sedgefield it's probably an even split SAFC/MIddlesbrough/Newcastle. Having said that, the only supporters bus out of Sedgefield I'm aware of is SAFC but then again it will pick up at Fishburn and the Trimdons. I read on here that Shotton has changed, but when I was growing up it was all SAFC.

It'll all change soon though, because loads of people are moving into these places from southern England with no family history of following SAFC.

Depends where you are in East Durham. Peterlee, Blackhall and Horden has and always did have more Newcastle than Wingate, Trimdons Station/Colliery/Grange, Thornley and Wheatley Hill. I'd say more like 70/30 in places like Peterlee and Blackhall and more like 95/5 in the others. In terms of match going fans shift it more towards SAFC. The second best supported team in terms of match going fans in the 95/5 areas is Hartlepool. It changes as you start getting closer to Teesside: Trimdon Village, Fishburn and Sedgefield have more Newcastle and by the time you get to Sedgefield it's probably an even split SAFC/MIddlesbrough/Newcastle. Having said that, the only supporters bus out of Sedgefield I'm aware of is SAFC but then again it will pick up at Fishburn and the Trimdons. I read on here that Shotton has changed, but when I was growing up it was all SAFC.

It'll all change soon though, because loads of people are moving into these places from southern England with no family history of following SAFC.
Bollocks

It's not a 100% like the townies so its infested.
Sunderland AFC is Sunderland not Durham.

It'd be more accurate to say it's the club of East Durham, in terms of it being the club that most people in that area follow. Durham City and the other side of Durham could never have been claimed to be SAFC strongholds. There has always been a lot of Newcastle in those places. If you look at Wheatley Hill, Thornley, Wingate, Trimdons Station/Colliery/Grange, it's like a little island which is and always has been pretty much Mag free in terms of match going fans (although Wingate always had a few, and they went to the match, long before 1992). It must be the staunchest SAFC area outside of Sunderland, including Seaham, and the few who go to matches and it's not SAFC, they go to Hartlepool.

Taking County Durham as a whole, it is definitely not right to say SAFC is the club of the county, nor is it right to say all of these Mags sprang up in 1992. Most were always there and County Durham was never uniformly SAFC. I know this from playing in pool leagues years back, before 1992. You got a good feel from being in the pubs playing in the pool league. Langley Park for example, was more Newcastle than Sunderland.

Fair enough, mate.

It'd be more accurate to say it's the club of East Durham, in terms of it being the club that most people in that area follow. Durham City and the other side of Durham could never have been claimed to be SAFC strongholds. There has always been a lot of Newcastle in those places. If you look at Wheatley Hill, Thornley, Wingate, Trimdons Station/Colliery/Grange, it's like a little island which is and always has been pretty much Mag free in terms of match going fans (although Wingate always had a few, and they went to the match, long before 1992). It must be the staunchest SAFC area outside of Sunderland, including Seaham, and the few who go to matches and it's not SAFC, they go to Hartlepool.

Taking County Durham as a whole, it is definitely not right to say SAFC is the club of the county, nor is it right to say all of these Mags sprang up in 1992. Most were always there and County Durham was never uniformly SAFC. I know this from playing in pool leagues years back, before 1992. You got a good feel from being in the pubs playing in the pool league. Langley Park for example, was more Newcastle than Sunderland.

Fair enough, mate.
I just can't agree with that. For example Gilesgate, Sherburn, Willington, Brandon all massive Sunderland areas with very few mags before 1992.
All with buses that have travelled to Sunderland for years.

I just can't agree with that. For example Gilesgate, Sherburn, Willington, Brandon all massive Sunderland areas with very few mags before 1992.
All with buses that have travelled to Sunderland for years.

Maybe, mate, I don't know those areas well. I can remember starting going drinking through Durham and when you got talking people I was surprised by the number of Newcastle, anecdotal I suppose and I never played in the pool league those areas. Surely though as you start getting a bit farther West it's 50/50. I know Weardale is today through spending quite a bit of time in that area, including old fellas who have followed Newcastle for years. I know Crook quite well through family and round there was a roughly even split, Bishop always had a good few as well, and Spennymoor round that area?
Oh, add Coxhoe to the list of being a staunch SAFC area, but for some reason Kelhoe, the next village down, has a good number of Mags.

Last edited:
Tyne and Wear doesn't exist.

Sunderland = Wearside
Newcastle = Tyneside
Middlesbrough = Teesside

Washington and South Tyneside are split between both.

Outside of that, whichever river is closest the team you support. It's pretty much what the support is anyway.

Where Wearside and Tyneside ends, that's up for debate.

Sunderland is the closest league club to where I was born (South Shields) so being born by the Tyne doesn't apply. I could be considered a Geordie though.

The Durham mag - a toxic mix of Keegan 90s mags, posh plastic Durham uni mags and new money Saudi mags. Such a vomit inducing mix
Plus those who just support the club of the biggest city in the region (and for Consett, the closest city) where they probably spend most of their time for work and shopping.

Sunderland is the closest league club to where I was born (South Shields) so being born by the Tyne doesn't apply. I could be considered a Geordie though.

Aye agreed both South Tyneside and Washington, really, are a bit blurred for obvious reasons as they can be closer depending, where you are.

The Durham mag - a toxic mix of Keegan 90s mags, posh plastic Durham uni mags and new money Saudi mags. Such a vomit inducing mix

Personally, I don't see the problem with Consett, it's closer to Newcastle, it's economically tied to Newcastle and it's about 3 mile from Northumberland. It's very different to say somewhere like Peterlee or Seaham.

What's the difference between someone in Consett and Gateshead as imo there's nothing bar someone drew some new lines in the 70's changing the counties.

Consett is just a no mans land area imo.

Back