The club of County Durham

Monkey hangers.
British West Hartlepool, a forgotten outpost of County Durham.
Teesside post code, County Durham on our birth certificates, but no more as our babies have to be born at North Tees, Stockton……a feckin disgrace.
Downgrading the hospital is a different issue, but both have the same county status, unitary authorities, in County Durham for lieutenancy purposes. So whatever goes on the birth certificate these days it will either be Durham for both or Durham for neither.

Speaking as someone who was born in Stockton, and grew up in a village that was never in Teesside, but got shoved into Cleveland. Still absolutely a Durham lad as my birth certificate says.

Last edited:
It's hardly a breaking article with well researched reasoning and the end sounds petulant. I don't know whether the idea is sound or not and there is nothing in that article to persuade me either way. It reads like a readers letter tbh.

It's hardly a breaking article with well researched reasoning and the end sounds petulant. I don't know whether the idea is sound or not and there is nothing in that article to persuade me either way. It reads like a readers letter tbh.
At the risk of veering a bit off-topic for PF it’s also wrong. Tyne and Wear does still exist as a “ceremonial” county with a Lord Lieutenant and a Sheriff. In this it is different from Cleveland, say, which was completely abolished as a county, although it’s still a police authority area. So we do have a choice. We could be in Durham instead.

County one is class imo. Blue and yellow man :cool:
I didn't realise just how recent that flag is? It's only around ten years old I think?
I had Soccer Saturday on last week, it showed the Mags walking out Vs Luton, panned to their flag wavers and right in the middle was that blue and yellow flag, utterly bizarre behavior. Akin to someone waving the Cornish flag at a Plymouth game, completely irrelevant to them and their geographical location
I see the mags had a Durham flag :lol:
Apologies, didn't see this post. It's bizarre behavior from them

Last edited:
I didn't realise just how recent that flag is? It's only around ten years old I think?
I had Soccer Saturday on last week, it showed the Mags walking out Vs Luton, panned to their flag wavers and right in the middle was that blue and yellow flag, utterly bizarre behavior. Akin to someone waving the Cornish flag at a Plymouth game, completely irrelevant to them and their geographical location

Apologies, didn't see this post. It's bizarre behavior from them
I honestly think it was in response to this thread, seriously.

East Durham is not mag infested, there’s small pockets of them scattered about the collieries. I’d say East Durham is comfortably 80/20, maybe even closer to 85/15.
It's not a 100% like the townies so its infested.
Sunderland AFC is Sunderland not Durham.

Back