The changing art of cricket commentary

Always enjoyed Gower, particularly liked the World Cup in the West Indies I think a few years a go now, when they had a table and chairs on the beach!! and presented it from there.

Had a canny innings like played the game he loved then presented the game he loved both for years and years so can’t complain.

Always enjoyed Gower, particularly liked the World Cup in the West Indies I think a few years a go now, when they had a table and chairs on the beach!! and presented it from there.

Had a canny innings like played the game he loved then presented the game he loved both for years and years so can’t complain.
Is there anything more Gower like than doing the presentation form a chair on the beach! :lol: :lol:

Surely that’s not possible?

I'm convinced I've heard it because I remember trying the logic...

Pre 1955 not much test cricket was played that didn't involve England.

He'll have done every Aussie game from, say, 55 to 65. Then commentated on all England home tests and all Aussie home and away for most of the next 40 years. For most of that time SL, Zim, Ban, SA either didn't or barely existed.

Wouldn't have been far off.

There was a time where he had played, commentated, reported on or been a spectator at a third of every test match ever played.

Since the proliferation of tours and expansion of test playing nations since the turn of the century, the figure tailed. Still a phenomenal feat.

I was brought up on Richie Benaud, Jim Laker, John Arlott, CMJ, Brian Johnson and Trevor Bailey. They all brought something different to the mic on tv and radio but all had a very relaxed, convivial air to them.

Tony Cozier was someone I heard only occasionally when England toured the West Indies and he fitted into it so well to the commentary. Such a distinctive and amiable voice.

Since Sky began covering cricket, the mood has become a bit more excitable. Tony Greig and his "Goodnight Charlie" and Geoff Boycott arguing with Michael Holding about kicking stumps down seemed to herald a new era of commentary across sport as a whole. The game, like the world in general, was becoming a more serious and soundbite driven place.

I enjoy Aggers when he is led off into a tangent and gives anecdotes during lulls in play. Jim Maxwell I like too. Mike Atherton for the tv coverage now because he sometimes is able to explain what the captain or batsman's mindset is and why they did what they did.

By far and away still, though, I prefer cricket commentary than on any other sport. Even if it's just the radio they can paint a picture of the pitch and what's going on so vividly.

Last edited:
I was also brought up on Arlott, Laker, Benuad and TMS. The thing that I really dislike now is the attempt to bring in "fashionable" phrases for more well-known actions.

Buzzers - FFS they are overthrows! I had never heard of a knuckle ball until the last few years. I blame the Essex boy trying to be something that he is not - popular!

I was also brought up on Arlott, Laker, Benuad and TMS. The thing that I really dislike now is the attempt to bring in "fashionable" phrases for more well-known actions.

Buzzers - FFS they are overthrows! I had never heard of a knuckle ball until the last few years. I blame the Essex boy trying to be something that he is not - popular!

Agree - I hate how they all use the term "grab" for a catch now.

Think we are seeing the last of the great, old style commentators with Agnew, Marks and Atherton. The more modern commentators are more focused on hyperbole and trendy "in" catchphrases.

How I miss Richie - the greatest sports commentator of them all.

Agree - I hate how they all use the term "grab" for a catch now.

Think we are seeing the last of the great, old style commentators with Agnew, Marks and Atherton. The more modern commentators are more focused on hyperbole and trendy "in" catchphrases.

How I miss Richie - the greatest sports commentator of them all.

Richie - you always felt you were in good hands. I faced a knuckle ball for years but knew it as a slower ball!

There was a time where he had played, commentated, reported on or been a spectator at a third of every test match ever played.

Since the proliferation of tours and expansion of test playing nations since the turn of the century, the figure tailed. Still a phenomenal feat.

I was brought up on Richie Benaud, Jim Laker, John Arlott, CMJ, Brian Johnson and Trevor Bailey. They all brought something different to the mic on tv and radio but all had a very relaxed, convivial air to them.

Tony Cozier was someone I heard only occasionally when England toured the West Indies and he fitted into it so well to the commentary. Such a distinctive and amiable voice.

Since Sky began covering cricket, the mood has become a bit more excitable. Tony Greig and his "Goodnight Charlie" and Geoff Boycott arguing with Michael Holding about kicking stumps down seemed to herald a new era of commentary across sport as a whole. The game, like the world in general, was becoming a more serious and soundbite driven place.

I enjoy Aggers when he is led off into a tangent and gives anecdotes during lulls in play. Jim Maxwell I like too. Mike Atherton for the tv coverage now because he sometimes is able to explain what the captain or batsman's mindset is and why they did what they did.

By far and away still, though, I prefer cricket commentary than on any other sport. Even if it's just the radio they can paint a picture of the pitch and what's going on so vividly.
AS well as 'Richie' I also really liked Jim Laker.

Buzzers is a word a don't like either but weirdly it sometimes seems ok when David Lloyd uses it. Must be the mood I'm in at the time.

I like Hussain's reading of the game by and large but think he tries too hard sometimes in always looking for something new or different and tries to be Mr Trendy with niche words and phrases. Think Botham had reached the end of the road a while back but will miss Gower's style.

AS well as 'Richie' I also really liked Jim Laker.

Probably as famous for his 'and he's given that the kitchen sink!' comment as his 19 wickets at Old Trafford...well maybe not!:lol:

I did love Laker and Arlott on The John Player League every Sunday- you could go 20 minutes without hearing a word spoken from Arlott with nothing but the sound of a bottle of red being opened or the wheezing of Jim as he arrived to do his stint and continue his strange vendetta against Chris Old.:D

Funny how the Beeb could manage to set aside 4 1/2 hours of its schedule every Sunday back then to cover the JPL.

Back