The British Army could seize Bruges

Status
Not open for further replies.
To defend the UK and/or to go to war, that's the simple truth. What's the point in having a military if it's not in a position to do either of those things? You don't need to want a war to know you need to be ready for one.

We should spend more on taking care of what we have rather than being poised to attack.
If the big bombs start falling we're all fucked anyway. Might as well help out the NHS and other services

I'll use the campaign for nuclear disarmament figures (as they will be inflated) and trident costs just under 7 billion a year, that still leaves well over 40 billion. MOD say it will cost 5.5 billion a year.

What are they spending the cash on?

Bomb Pollish

We do spend a lot, but I'm talking about decades of under-funding prior to our current position. Just look at Iraq in 2003; it became rapidly apparent that we'd been buying from the lowest bidder and much of the equipment was outdated or unsuitable and had just been kept even when it was known a replacement was needed. That resulted in hundreds of millions of pounds being spent on urgent operational requirements.

I'm not advocating a huge standing army, nor unbridled spending, but it does often feel like the military is falling apart at the seams a bit.

Defence in total I'd imagine, which will include major spends on Trident, the new Elizabeth Class carriers, F35s for those carriers etc etc.

Maybe if we stop invading countries and launching needless wars we wouldn't need to spend so much

Is it not the British Militia yet? (read on here that the number of personnel was reducing to a number where we would drop out of the Army Premier League into the Militia Conference League)

I'll use the campaign for nuclear disarmament figures (as they will be inflated) and trident costs just under 7 billion a year, that still leaves well over 40 billion. MOD say it will cost 5.5 billion a year.

What are they spending the cash on if our armies are so bad compared to the rest of the world?

Surely we can just threaten Belgium with trident while it is docked in Aberdeen.
What i said was tongue in cheek mate but I'm sure our military needs so much money because of our global reach. We have a military presence in the Falklands, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Ascension Island, Nepal, Brunei, Belize Canada etc. I imagine the costs of running our military must be considerably more than a nation with the same troop numbers and equipment types that we're solely based within their home country. If we insist on punching above our weight we have to pay for it.

What i said was tongue in cheek mate but I'm sure our military needs so much money because of our global reach. We have a military presence in the Falklands, Cyprus, Gibraltar, Ascension Island, Nepal, Brunei, Belize Canada etc. I imagine the costs of running our military must be considerably more than a nation with the same troop numbers and equipment types that we're solely based within their home country. If we insist on punching above our weight we have to pay for it.

Do the Dutch still not have a lot of overseas interests/ex colonies?

The decades of under-funding were all laid clear when we went into Iraq and Afghanistan; the amount of money that was pushed into UORs just highlighted how woefully out of date our vehicles and equipment were.

Russia is ramping up its military with new weapons and armour whilst we're winding ours down. We don't need a massive military in peace time, but we certainly need one that's properly equipped and funded.

We can’t really hope to compete with Russia, China or the US though can we? We just don’t have the manpower.

They haven't got any overseas mate.

They have territories in the Carribean and South Pacific iirc

What are they spending the cash on if our armies are so bad compared to the rest of the world?

Surely we can just threaten Belgium with trident while it is docked in Aberdeen.

Has something happened tonight that i'm unaware of?

We can’t really hope to compete with Russia, China or the US though can we? We just don’t have the manpower.

They have territories in the Carribean and South Pacific iirc
The ABC Islands, Sint Maarten and Dutch Guyana but I'm not sure if they station troops there from the Netherlands. I think the money we spend just defending the Falklands dwarfs anything the Dutch spends abroad.

I like the idea of someone being named "Sir Baz North". I look forward to seeing "General Wor Jacka" at an enquiry.

The ABC Islands, Sint Maarten and Dutch Guyana but I'm not sure if they station troops there from the Netherlands. I think the money we spend just defending the Falklands dwarfs anything the Dutch spends abroad.

So why we need troops in all these places but the Dutch don’t?

Argentina are almost bankrupt, they are no threat to the falklands

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back