The British Army could seize Bruges

Only 6 countries in the world spend more than us on defense.

3 of those who spend more are over spending to get up to our level.

Belgium aren't even in the top 30 for military spend but they can repel us with ease....

I'd say he is telling porky pies or they are wasting a shit load of cash.

The decades of under-funding were all laid clear when we went into Iraq and Afghanistan; the amount of money that was pushed into UORs just highlighted how woefully out of date our vehicles and equipment were.

Russia is ramping up its military with new weapons and armour whilst we're winding ours down. We don't need a massive military in peace time, but we certainly need one that's properly equipped and funded.

The decades of under-funding were all laid clear when we went into Iraq and Afghanistan; the amount of money that was pushed into UORs just highlighted how woefully out of date our vehicles and equipment were.

Russia is ramping up its military with new weapons and armour whilst we're winding ours down. We don't need a massive military in peace time, but we certainly need one that's properly equipped and funded.

Under funding? We spend more than Spain, Poland, Canada and Holland combined!

It's like the NHS, it'll never have enough cash.

To defend the UK and/or to go to war, that's the simple truth. What's the point in having a military if it's not in a position to do either of those things? You don't need to want a war to know you need to be ready for one.
The defence method and weapons in place will see us ok.
It's called a nuclear bomb.
The countries who have them can use them anyway so no matter how good your army is we're fucked.
The country's who haven't will do whatever we ask or they fucked.
That's why Korea is a difficult subject, simply because we don't know if they have them or not. If we knew it would be simple. Either invade or leave them alone.

Under funding? We spend more than Spain, Poland, Canada and Holland combined!

It's like the NHS, it'll never have enough cash.

We do spend a lot, but I'm talking about decades of under-funding prior to our current position. Just look at Iraq in 2003; it became rapidly apparent that we'd been buying from the lowest bidder and much of the equipment was outdated or unsuitable and had just been kept even when it was known a replacement was needed. That resulted in hundreds of millions of pounds being spent on urgent operational requirements.

I'm not advocating a huge standing army, nor unbridled spending, but it does often feel like the military is falling apart at the seams a bit.

On the army or defence in total including the massive white elephant that is Trident?

Defence in total I'd imagine, which will include major spends on Trident, the new Elizabeth Class carriers, F35s for those carriers etc etc.

On the army or defence in total including the massive white elephant that is Trident?

Defence in total.

UK population is 65 million, military spending is 48 billion
Population of Canada, Holland, Poland and Spain is 136 million, military spending is 48 billion

How are we under funding our armed forces when we are spending the same as four large countries combined?

The Toon Army have it covered.
3000,000 screaming fanatical Geordies. More than a match for the North Koreans. They are probably fat boy's second favourite team anyway. I've heard he's got NUFC tattoed across his belly.

Defence in total.

UK population is 65 million, military spending is 48 billion
Population of Canada, Holland, Poland and Spain is 136 million, military spending is 48 billion

How are we under funding our armed forces when we are spending the same as four large countries combined?
We pay for nukes and use our weapons up invading countries with the USA.

We do spend a lot, but I'm talking about decades of under-funding prior to our current position. Just look at Iraq in 2003; it became rapidly apparent that we'd been buying from the lowest bidder and much of the equipment was outdated or unsuitable and had just been kept even when it was known a replacement was needed. That resulted in hundreds of millions of pounds being spent on urgent operational requirements.

I'm not advocating a huge standing army, nor unbridled spending, but it does often feel like the military is falling apart at the seams a bit.

Defence in total I'd imagine, which will include major spends on Trident, the new Elizabeth Class carriers, F35s for those carriers etc etc.

And the rest of the world had/has state of the art kit despite their significantly lower spending?

If our army is worse than Belgium despite spending 10 ten times what they do I think general Barrons needs to look at how they are spending all the cash they get.

3000,000 screaming fanatical Geordies. More than a match for the North Koreans. They are probably fat boy's second favourite team anyway. I've heard he's got NUFC tattoed across his belly.

We pay for nukes and use our weapons up invading countries with the USA.

I'll use the campaign for nuclear disarmament figures (as they will be inflated) and trident costs just under 7 billion a year, that still leaves well over 40 billion. MOD say it will cost 5.5 billion a year.

What are they spending the cash on if our armies are so bad compared to the rest of the world?

Surely we can just threaten Belgium with trident while it is docked in Aberdeen.

Back