The big match revisited

I was at the game, on the opening day of the season. We were 2-0 up by half time, and their centre half (Billy Wright) scored a 2nd half own goal at the Fulwell End of the ground, from a lob back to his own keeper which sailed over his head, and into the net.
We won 3-1 and the result gave us all false hope of us having a half decent season. (as it happened, we encountered ANOTHER relegation battle and just about escaped by the skin of our teeth, thanks to a famous last day of the season win at Anfield) :lol:
Not sure what D means next to Big Sam, i thought it said C earlier

Last edited:

We had a half decent team back then, with the likes of Chris Turner, Big Sam, Joe Joe Joe Bolton, Shaun Elliott, Rob Hindmarch, Ozzy Arnott, Alan Brown, l Stan the Man Cummins, and Pop Robson.

With that team, we really ought to have finished at least mid table, instead of struggling at the bottom end of the table.
Alan Brown wasnt good.

People writing to the show to complain our winner the previous week was offside. :lol:
They show the clip and Brian says, "You can see he is inline with the last defender, so is offside" was that the rule then?

We played Man Utd around 1970 at Old Trafford. (Might of been Denis Law) was putting Monty off, standing in front of him as Monty kicked the ball upfield, a Man Utd defender then headed the ball straight back upfield to Denis Law, who was still about 20 yards offside, the ref played on and Law scored...

.....50 years later and I'm still livid about that, and find the old 'inline with defender' and the current VAR decisions headshaking 😞

Southampton been on then a round up of other games.
"Sad to report that 7 policemen are in hospital following crowd trouble at Hillsborough where Sheffield Wednesday played N*******e U****d !"

Some things never change 🤷‍♂️

Back