The big match revisited

You’ve forgotten why Malcolm got kicked off century 😜
I seem to recall he got a little bit over enthusiastic whilst commenting on a Middlesbrough - Newcastle match, used some choice language and was sacked. I'm sure he was reinstated following pressure from fans but did the same thing again and was permanently removed from the airwaves. As I said in a previous post, he was a colourful character!

Last edited:
I seem to recall he got a little bit over enthusiastic whilst commenting on a Middlesbrough - Newcastle match, used some choice language and was sacked. I'm sure he was reinstated following pressure from fans but did the same thing again and was permanently taken off the airwaves. As I said in a previous post, he was a colourful character!
Dropped f bomb twice 😂

Some observations about that Charlton v Sunderland game.

It was virtually impossible to be sent off back then (see Sunderland's right back for details).

Charlton's ground was 90% terracing, the only seats were in that tiny stand opposite the TV gantry.

Did Sunderland's tracksuits have 'Sunderland FC' on the back rather than Sunderland AFC?

Sunderland v Everton 1980/81 10.30am
I was at the game, on the opening day of the season. We were 2-0 up by half time, and their centre half (Billy Wright) scored a 2nd half own goal at the Fulwell End of the ground, from a lob back to his own keeper which sailed over his head, and into the net.
We won 3-1 and the result gave us all false hope of us having a half decent season. (as it happened, we encountered ANOTHER relegation battle and just about escaped by the skin of our teeth, thanks to a famous last day of the season win at Anfield)

Back