The best Nirvana album

Music is subjective, you like what you like. No right or wrong answer..........
Good call and of course you are right.

However, some band fans like the less commercial output, to be more “on trend”

I like nirvana and their best album is Nevermind. It defined a generation.

I respect alternative views naturally, but Nevermind is their finest work.

Still find it strange that Sappy was never on an album, I love that song. It was recorded at sessions for all 3 albums and played live multiple times too.

Do you know why it never made it on a record? There must be a reason.
Can only thing he was never happy with it.
From wiki...

Originally recorded under the working title "Sad", "Sappy" dates back to at least 1987. The first known version of the song is a solo home demo recorded by Cobain in the late 1980s.[4] "Sappy" was written by Kurt Cobain as a lament against the expectations of others.[5]

First recording it in the late 1980s, Cobain went on to re-record "Sappy" in almost every major studio session over the remainder of his life, but was never completely satisfied.[5] The song was recorded four times in the studio, with two different drummers.[6] The first studio version, featuring Chad Channing on drums, was recorded by Jack Endino at Reciprocal Recording in Seattle, Washington on January 2 and 3, 1990. The band spent 10 hours working on the song, with much of that time spent trying to achieve a drum sound similar to Steve Albini's, according to Endino.[6] The second version was recorded by Butch Vig at Smart Studios in Madison, Wisconsin during recording sessions from April 2 to 6, 1990, for a planned second album for Sub Pop, their label at the time, that never materialized.[7] The third version, featuring the band's new drummer Dave Grohl, was also recorded by Vig, during the sessions for their second album and first on DGC Records, Nevermind, at Sound City Studios in Van Nuys, California, in May, 1991.

Almost two years after the Nevermind sessions, the band again recorded the track with Albini. According to Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic, "Something just drove Kurt to keep busting it out. Maybe he thought he was going to put that song over the top. He had some kind of unattainable expectations for it, I don’t know."[8]

The song remained unreleased until a fourth version was recorded by Steve Albini at Pachyderm Studios in Cannon Falls, Minnesota in February, 1993, during the recording sessions for the band's third and final album, In Utero. Novoselic explained that the song was again recorded because "we liked to play that song," expressing satisfaction with his original bass line for the song, and saying that the song remained unchanged every time the band attempted it in the studio.[9] As Gillian G. Gaar notes, however, the Albini-recorded version is performed in a different key and at a faster tempo than previous studio versions, features a different guitar solo and is missing the instrumental intro of some of the earlier versions.[9]

Can only thing he was never happy with it.
From wiki...

Originally recorded under the working title "Sad", "Sappy" dates back to at least 1987. The first known version of the song is a solo home demo recorded by Cobain in the late 1980s.[4] "Sappy" was written by Kurt Cobain as a lament against the expectations of others.[5]

First recording it in the late 1980s, Cobain went on to re-record "Sappy" in almost every major studio session over the remainder of his life, but was never completely satisfied.[5] The song was recorded four times in the studio, with two different drummers.[6] The first studio version, featuring Chad Channing on drums, was recorded by Jack Endino at Reciprocal Recording in Seattle, Washington on January 2 and 3, 1990. The band spent 10 hours working on the song, with much of that time spent trying to achieve a drum sound similar to Steve Albini's, according to Endino.[6] The second version was recorded by Butch Vig at Smart Studios in Madison, Wisconsin during recording sessions from April 2 to 6, 1990, for a planned second album for Sub Pop, their label at the time, that never materialized.[7] The third version, featuring the band's new drummer Dave Grohl, was also recorded by Vig, during the sessions for their second album and first on DGC Records, Nevermind, at Sound City Studios in Van Nuys, California, in May, 1991.

Almost two years after the Nevermind sessions, the band again recorded the track with Albini. According to Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic, "Something just drove Kurt to keep busting it out. Maybe he thought he was going to put that song over the top. He had some kind of unattainable expectations for it, I don’t know."[8]

The song remained unreleased until a fourth version was recorded by Steve Albini at Pachyderm Studios in Cannon Falls, Minnesota in February, 1993, during the recording sessions for the band's third and final album, In Utero. Novoselic explained that the song was again recorded because "we liked to play that song," expressing satisfaction with his original bass line for the song, and saying that the song remained unchanged every time the band attempted it in the studio.[9] As Gillian G. Gaar notes, however, the Albini-recorded version is performed in a different key and at a faster tempo than previous studio versions, features a different guitar solo and is missing the instrumental intro of some of the earlier versions.[9]
Thanks for that. Good read.

I agree. Of the many people that didn’t see out their potential, I think Kurt has the mist to offer. He’d basically created his own genre and made music that appealed to both pinks and rockers.

but had an incredible talent for pop style hooks which drew the mainstream in.

you look at the evolution across their albums and it’s certain they’d have evolved further and reinvented another genre

Possibly.

He seemed to be moving away a bit from the more poppy hooks (and more polished sound) and the last album wasn't received as well as Nevermind iirc?

I think they were class but not sure they were quite as inventive as you make out. Their/his influences were pretty transparent at times.

Last edited:
Thanks for that. Good read.
Sorry meant to include this but look up recording “the streets have no name” - U2 took 6 months to record 1 track and Brian ENO even tried to destroy the whole recording at one point.

They just could not get the sound right - maybe the same thing happened with Nirvana.

I agree. Of the many people that didn’t see out their potential, I think Kurt has the mist to offer. He’d basically created his own genre and made music that appealed to both pinks and rockers.

but had an incredible talent for pop style hooks which drew the mainstream in.

you look at the evolution across their albums and it’s certain they’d have evolved further and reinvented another genre
Are you the French Policeman from Allo Allo ?

I have listened to all the albums over and over again. Inutero stands out as the best album. The songwriting is stronger and production values muddier and more authentic than nevermind (which is also excellent).
My favourite song is Radio Friendly Unit Shifter. Turn up the volume in your car and blast out the last minute of the song. Music didn't get any better.
If you don't like it go listen to green day or bush.

Back