The Beatles - Get back Documentary

Brilliant watch for me as a Beatles fan and lover of all the anthologys etc. I can see why some would be bored ( after hearing dont let me down 100 times ) but I loved all the dialogue and watching them work ideas through to songs we know and love

Shows how much Epstein was a miss as they were quite indecisive throughout. The fact they laughed about random shite ( like all mates do ) despite being biggest band in the world was class

Loved it. Just compelling viewing all the way through. Always liked them but the last few months been getting more and more into their music.

Can anyone recommend the best Beatles book? Got a few weeks off work soon and fancy reading about them.

Loved it. Just compelling viewing all the way through. Always liked them but the last few months been getting more and more into their music.

Can anyone recommend the best Beatles book? Got a few weeks off work soon and fancy reading about them.
Mark Lewishon is your man. Beatles obsessive. Not sure of which one to chose specifically.

I still rate the only authorised biography, by Hunter Davies, written during Sgt. Pepper so a unique fly on the wall for that. It gets criticised for a little bit of whitewashing but he needed the agreement of the band. It originally ended 67/68 but has been updated often. I have probably read it around ten times, though not in a while It remains a good starting point.

Shout by Philip Norman is an ok read and rattles along, but very negative on Paul, and treats George and Ringo like idiots. He is also a pompous man

The Beatles Anthology accompanies the tv series (worth getting the DVDs if you want mire to watch), and is full of quotes from the band with fantastic illustrations, secondhand cooies can be relatively inexpensive. Large format so awkward to read.

Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald gives the story of all the songs and has the strong opinions of the author. It inspires you to listen to the music and form your own opinions, I have read it about four times.

The first volume of Mark Lewisohn's projected three volume biography All These Years: Tune In is staggering, though it covers up to Love Me Do. I have read it twice and will likely read it again before the next volume is published. His Complete Recording Sessions is a mine of facts about what was recorded when.

A very early book by Michael Braun Love Me Do. The Beatles' Progress is a brilliant snapshot as their fame begins.

The Longest Cocktail Party by Richard Delillo (the house hippy at Apple) captures the madness and excess of Apple.

One Two Three Four: The Beatles in Time by Craig Brown is in bite size chunks and has stories of Beatles encounters. It is a celebrated book but I didn't like Brown's sneering about people doing their jobs, about foreigners and unreconstructed unpleasantness about Yoko (I am no fan but he talks about her like the worst of the popular press at the time).

An lp sized annotated discography The Beatles : an Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler is a funny, passionate companion to the records. Published in the mid 70s.

There are loads of books by those who worked with them. Derek Taylor their press officer is best of these with As Time Goes By.

There are more niche titles too and I enjoyed Beatles '66: The Revolutionary Year by Steve Turner of more recent boooks.

Sorry, that is a ramble

I still rate the only authorised biography, by Hunter Davies, written during Sgt. Pepper so a unique fly on the wall for that. It gets criticised for a little bit of whitewashing but he needed the agreement of the band. It originally ended 67/68 but has been updated often. I have probably read it around ten times, though not in a while It remains a good starting point.

Shout by Philip Norman is an ok read and rattles along, but very negative on Paul, and treats George and Ringo like idiots. He is also a pompous man

The Beatles Anthology accompanies the tv series (worth getting the DVDs if you want mire to watch), and is full of quotes from the band with fantastic illustrations, secondhand cooies can be relatively inexpensive. Large format so awkward to read.

Revolution In The Head by Ian MacDonald gives the story of all the songs and has the strong opinions of the author. It inspires you to listen to the music and form your own opinions, I have read it about four times.

The first volume of Mark Lewisohn's projected three volume biography All These Years: Tune In is staggering, though it covers up to Love Me Do. I have read it twice and will likely read it again before the next volume is published. His Complete Recording Sessions is a mine of facts about what was recorded when.

A very early book by Michael Braun Love Me Do. The Beatles' Progress is a brilliant snapshot as their fame begins.

The Longest Cocktail Party by Richard Delillo (the house hippy at Apple) captures the madness and excess of Apple.

One Two Three Four: The Beatles in Time by Craig Brown is in bite size chunks and has stories of Beatles encounters. It is a celebrated book but I didn't like Brown's sneering about people doing their jobs, about foreigners and unreconstructed unpleasantness about Yoko (I am no fan but he talks about her like the worst of the popular press at the time).

An lp sized annotated discography The Beatles : an Illustrated Record by Roy Carr and Tony Tyler is a funny, passionate companion to the records. Published in the mid 70s.

There are loads of books by those who worked with them. Derek Taylor their press officer is best of these with As Time Goes By.

There are more niche titles too and I enjoyed Beatles '66: The Revolutionary Year by Steve Turner of more recent boooks.

Sorry, that is a ramble

I've just read Solid State: The Story of Abbey Road and the End of the Beatles by Kenneth Womack. Excellent read, particularly good on the technical aspects of production. As in the series, Magic Alex, in his boffin's white coat, keeps ballsing everything up.

Logon or register to see this image

Sorry, that is a ramble
Brilliant thank you for that, will order a couple and take it from there.

Cheers

The Memoirs Of Billy Shears.

Finished it the other night, it was class. Loved the last hour or so especially.

Still maintain no band has ever looked as cool as they did on that rooftop.

I'm enjoying every moment. Harrison comes across as a bit of a prick though. Seems to think he's some kind of mystic guru type. Dare I say it a touch of the Joey Bartons about him. Looks an.absolute mess as well. McCartney seems to be getting a lot of stick, but to my eye he's the driving force, and trying to get things done. It's lovely to see the obvious friendship between Paul and John, and almost miraculous songwriting partnership. Everyone will have their own views, those are mine. Harrison always got on my wick a bit. Ringo looks and sounds a proper laugh, cool as fuck too.

I'm enjoying every moment. Harrison comes across as a bit of a prick though. Seems to think he's some kind of mystic guru type. Dare I say it a touch of the Joey Bartons about him. Looks an.absolute mess as well. McCartney seems to be getting a lot of stick, but to my eye he's the driving force, and trying to get things done. It's lovely to see the obvious friendship between Paul and John, and almost miraculous songwriting partnership. Everyone will have their own views, those are mine. Harrison always got on my wick a bit. Ringo looks and sounds a proper laugh, cool as fuck too.
To me I think he sounds ungrateful. I know he was frustrated about not getting his songs on Beatles albums but where would he be if he hadn't met Lennon and McCartney. Certainly wouldn't have had Friar Park.

That is harsh on George. The Beatles were the sum of their parts and he contributed massively to the records they made of the songs by Lennon and McCartney. Before fame he sang as many as the other two. Arguably he performs best at their Decca audition. He was cut out of the songwriting team but added lines and huge musical invention, only more recently has Paul talked about his guitar on And I Love Her.

Watch the Paul doc with Rick Rubin and George's importance shines through. In Get Back he is seen to be a big contributor to where songs go. Almost every night he seemed to be going home and writing a new song, coming in and being met with little reaction. Old Brown Shoe is the exception. At this point John came with few songs, George had a load - and mostly very good ones.

Paul often talks about Something as the first time George wrote anything really good. Ignoring While My Guitar Gently Weeps, Think For Yourself, I Want To Tell You, Within You, Without You, Long, Long, Long, and personally I think Don't Bother Me holds its own on With The Beatles. He was undervalued and in the film, Paul and John acknowledge it.

He was often the voice of common sense "we can't even get a free amp off Fender". Aye, he was exploring his spirituality and sounds a bit naive at times, but he was 25, with the eyes of the world on him at the peak of his personal creativity.

We all see things in different ways so you are only wrong in one respect - likening him to Joey Barton is abominable ;)

Back