The Band

Easily the most underrated band ever. But could they be a hit at all today?

Most of their songs told quite complex stories (oddly with a lot of accuracy). Sure, they could be a little self indulgent in production values, but if you listen to some of their live stuff, it's loads better than some live stuff now. That said, their studio stuff sounds very dated.
He spent months researching Dixie, and he had Helm on hand to keep him right and make sure Robert E Lee came out of it fairly.

I'm a tad surprised there hasn't been a belated backlash over it now they're tearing statues down to be honest, but that may be because it's so well written it's now part of the American lexicon. It's a truly great song.
Thou doesn't know the first thing about me daft lad. :lol:
I shudder at the thought of The Band being catalogued on the same shelf as Coldplay...

Last edited:
Easily the most underrated band ever. But could they be a hit at all today?

Most of their songs told quite complex stories (oddly with a lot of accuracy). Sure, they could be a little self indulgent in production values, but if you listen to some of their live stuff, it's loads better than some live stuff now. That said, their studio stuff sounds very dated.

If you've never heard them, have a listen to some of these.

Crap thread... You should be banned... Ho ho ho ...

He spent months researching Dixie, and he had Helm on hand to keep him right and make sure Robert E Lee came out of it fairly.

I'm a tad surprised there hasn't been a belated backlash over it now they're tearing statues down to be honest, but that may be because it's so well written it's now part of the American lexicon. It's a truly great song.

I shudder at the thought of The Band being catalogued on the same shelf as Coldplay...

Didn't Joan Baez change the lyrics?

Not sure if this was a genuine misunderstanding or she did it for a politcal reason.

I'm sure made Robert E Lee a ship, rather than the man himself.

One of my favourite The Band songs is Arcadian Driftwood. It’s an absolutely fascinating story, told very well in song about something historical of which I hadn’t a clue.

and explains the origins of ‘Cajun’ - once you’ve researched it a bit

One of my favourite The Band songs is Arcadian Driftwood. It’s an absolutely fascinating story, told very well in song about something historical of which I hadn’t a clue.

and explains the origins of ‘Cajun’ - once you’ve researched it a bit

One of my favourite songs too. Canadian history is very unknown and fascinating.

I love this version of Down South In New Orleans with Bobby Charles.

If you listen carefully you can hear Joni Mitchell sing backing.

This ^

Last edited:

Back