First time house buyer: 30

I'm 27 so got a few years to hit these:lol:

Married at 22
First child at 29
First house (well, flat) at 21.

Married at 18.

First child at 21.

Bought first house at 18.
Double those ages and you'd be getting close to my milestones.

Don't really have any regrets but I remember a conversation when I was about 19 when some old fossil was urging me to 'get on the ladder' when all I wanted to do was play me guitar and chase tottie and have adventures.

I do admit when my monthly mortgage statement comes in to being a tiny bit envious of those people who have paid there's off in their forties.

Still, some financial planners say it's good to have a mortgage (as long as you can afford it) for tax breaks etc but there's some instinct a lot of us have for actually fully owning something and clearing all debt.

Where do you measure against these -

Average marriage age: Men 32 Women 30

First child: Men 33 Women 30

Bang average almost. Was ahead on the house business but lost a load of equity which meant starting over.

Christ.

26 and I’ve achieved literally nothing :lol:

Getting more and more difficult for younger people to buy houses though. I know people my age (29) that still live with their parents nevermind buy a house. In fact I know someone who's 35 and has just moved out... to their uncles & aunties :lol:

Plus people settling down later after lasses have had a few years getting bucked by the PR's in Magaluf

Last edited:
Christ.

26 and I’ve achieved literally nothing :lol:
Don't you have a masters?

I'd say that puts you way ahead of the pack for your age in terms of formal education. I think I got mine at your age and it was still several more years till I felt like I had some kind of decent career sorted.

The lesson to be learned here of course is that we're all on different pathways and if you start measuring the arc of your life against those of other people then you're on a hiding to nothing. As long as you're on some kind of pathway towards your personal goals just enjoy the ride.

(Mind, most lads have popped their cherry by 26 so you might want to get that one out of the way just for starters like!)

Where do you measure against these -

Average marriage age: Men 32 Women 30

First child: Men 33 Women 30

I'm 33

Not married yet but been with the missus 5 years and got a kid together, chances are I'll end up marrying her when I'm about 37

First child 29

First time house buyer 27

So a little ahead on two of them, a bit behind on marriage, although not being religious I don't really see marriage as a big thing, and more of a hassle if you break up!

So a little ahead on two of them, a bit behind on marriage, although not being religious I don't really see marriage as a big thing, and more of a hassle if you break up!

That's my feelings on it..bit of a con imo, an old tradition that isn't really relevant any more. I can understand back in the day when it was harder for women to work as it was a security blanket, but now there is no need other than your lass having a day of getting loads of attention and not having to give you blowjobs any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back