[the Ashes] first test Trent Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to change anything after one game. Pressure is all on the aussies who played betterthan many thought they would and still lost

Further confirmation that Test Cricket is the best version of any sport.

Another superb showing from Anderson, who stepped up when the rest went missing. Wonder what we will do for the next test re team selection. Could well replace Finn with Bresnan to give us more control and to lengthen our batting (although Id be tempted to stick with Finn at Lords as he knows it well, and I loathe to make changes at the drop of a hat).

Got to give Haddin a mention, cracking innings from him today.

This.

Get in there, major relief when I saw the white mark on Haddin's best (although we still needed Erasmus to do his job).

I'd ditch bairstow & go with 5 bowlers personally Bresnan, Broad & Swann are all bowling all-rounders anyway & with Prior at 6 we would get away with it imho.

Been there, done that, not good enough.

test match bowling average of 26? Only injury saw him lose his place. Bowled excellently down under. Most like for like replacement for Finn

Finn had a poor day. But as Michael Holding said today, " If they had thrown me the ball to bowl on a pitch like that I'd have thrown it back".

That was a Yorkshire pudding of pitch, and Lords will not be the same. Bresnan is a good solid bowler as is Onions and neither of them would let the team down. But Finn is the fastest bowler on either side and he offers something different. He should play at Lords.

Guaranteed to be dropped.

even when watching the replay they didn't seem to notice the sound.

Watched the verdict tonight and Bob Willis revealed the viewers at home had a much better audio of it than everyone else (including the umpire, players and sky team).

Finn had a poor day. But as Michael Holding said today, " If they had thrown me the ball to bowl on a pitch like that I'd have thrown it back".

That was a Yorkshire pudding of pitch, and Lords will not be the same. Bresnan is a good solid bowler as is Onions and neither of them would let the team down. But Finn is the fastest bowler on either side and he offers something different. He should play at Lords.

All good points. The worrying thing is apparently we have asked for four similar pitches to the one in the First Test (The theory being we will win it through swing and spin as opposed to pace/bounce).

I'd ditch bairstow & go with 5 bowlers personally Bresnan, Broad & Swann are all bowling all-rounders anyway & with Prior at 6 we would get away with it imho.

Nah, our tail is pretty poor as it is. They wont shift from their four man attack stance. (And they have Root and Trott who can bowl a bit if needs be).

He really annoys me as he seems a great bloke and very honest and I don't want to like an Aussie but I do like him.

Agree. Top bloke and has certainly learned from the best in the post-match interviews.....I think it must be Australian law to start every answer to a question with "aww......look...."

All good points. The worrying thing is apparently we have asked for four similar pitches to the one in the First Test (The theory being we will win it through swing and spin as opposed to pace/bounce)

Think Finn deserves a 2nd chance before we make any changes - the batters need to step up and start scoring runs - we can't be choosing the bowling line-up based on their batting ability

Yep. The selectors are big on continuity and they wont change a winning team, even though Finn had a shocker.

Would be a dangerous call to make changes to a winning side IMO. However, it should all be judged on conditions. If the pitch is similar to Trent Bridge then I dont see the point in having Finn in there.

If all the pitches are like that then I doubt we'll see Finn again in the series. Out of the 3 competing for that spot, surely Onions is the best suited to slower pitches which swing, as he bowls full and straight, so relies on the pitch much less than Finn or Bresnan.

We have played nowhere near our best and still won and but for 200 plus runs being put for the last wicket by Australia which is a freak of nature the Aussies would have got hammered.

England will benefit from a varied attack, not more of the same but not as good (ie, Bresnan offers nothing Anderson doesnt).

England tend not to change the team that often....If there was any chance of that happening the smart money would be on Finn obviously but seeing as the test is at Lords I doubt that's gonna happen...I thought the aussies were lucky to get near our total and I reckon we will up our game........Same starting 11 for me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back