The Army

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, they wouldn't carry. Something to do with the time he was out, I'm pretty sure it was less than a year, so he hoped they'd honour it. But as I say, he turned into a bell so I had little to do with him when he was out

He was in the REME's as far as I remember. Mechanic if there's such a thing in that reg
Pension would carry on no matter how long he was out.

Say he left after 11 years and 10 days then rejoined a year later the day he rejoined would be his 11th year and 11th day mate.

I've always been curious, and forgive the wording of this...

But what is the appeal of going to do a job when in all likelihood, you will face a situation where you need to kill someone (or be killer yourself)?

But what is the appeal of going to do a job when in all likelihood, you will face a situation where you need to kill someone (or be killer yourself)?

The vast majority won't. Also there are a lot of angry young lads who have had bad childhoods that join and a quite a few just don't think that far ahead (or it doesn't bother them).

Me brother bit of a waster in all truth is joining up. He seems determined like (lost four stone recently)

So far the advice I've got for him from this is

- learn a trade
- wait til your pension kicks in before leaving

Am I ballpark

When I left school in 1989 there wasn't really a great deal else to do or more importantly I wanted to do. Lads that left in my year ended up at Nissan and the likes(nothing wrong with that).

I fancied a career and wanted to try and make something of myself. When I joined we had Northern Ireland on the go and very little else, little did I know I'd end up in Bosnia, Sierra Leone, Kosovo, Iraq, Afghanistan and numerous other places.

Good and bad times, friends for life but a bit fucked up now. Full pension since I left at nearly 41.

Me brother bit of a waster in all truth is joining up. He seems determined like (lost four stone recently)

- learn a trade

Am I ballpark

And enjoy it, it can be hard at times but it is a wild ride if you're single!!

- learn a trade

Am I ballpark

Not quite, just don't leave at your 10-11 year point, as it seems quite pointless. May as well stay in until you get your half pension.

I think the Army (alongside the RAF and probably the Navy) are moving onto signing 12 year contracts, with extensions when you're promoted or if they're desperate for your trade. Maybe the Army is still offering out 24 year contracts,not sure.

Long time ago my friend, came out in 1983 so things probably different now. Enjoyed it and if you have anything about you, the experience will definitely improve confidence and kinship. You will also get to spot wankers & bullshitters very quickly, they usually fall by the wayside very quickly.

They're in charge now, unfortunately.

Not quite, just don't leave at your 10-11 year point, as it seems quite pointless. May as well stay in until you get your half pension.

I think the Army (alongside the RAF and probably the Navy) are moving onto signing 12 year contracts, with extensions when you're promoted or if they're desperate for your trade. Maybe the Army is still offering out 24 year contracts,not sure.
I believe it's still 22 with an option of adding 2 years on a thing they call versatile engagement(VENG).

I'm mates with a lad who went in at 18 and is still there at 26

He now spends his working week playing bagpipes down Salisbury somewhere.

Are these the trades they speak of?

Plenty of good trades, HGV driving, mechanics, electronics or helicopter pilot if you're lucky!!

My one regret is not getting a trade, just a bog standard Infantryman. :lol:

You know how it was though, you had the best of it whilst you were in, but us REMFs have the edge on the outside! :lol:

My one regret is not getting a trade, just a bog standard Infantryman. :lol:

It'll be all tri service in 2020 I believe, that's the way they were heading and actually makes sense.

Under that upon promotion to full screw will the Army offer them an extension up to 22 years, and then if they get promoted to sergeant an extension up to 35 years, like the RAF then?

I can't imagine a 55 year old infantry sergeant, outside of the reserves. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back