The Army

Status
Not open for further replies.

Long time ago my friend, came out in 1983 so things probably different now. Enjoyed it and if you have anything about you, the experience will definitely improve confidence and kinship. You will also get to spot wankers & bullshitters very quickly, they usually fall by the wayside very quickly.

Anyone done it?
Thoughts?
Soldier/Officer?
i passed the OTC for the marines and decided last minute to go to uni instead and delay it. sometimes i think i made the wrong decision, far more often i look at what i've done and my freedom to do stuff and i'm happy i made that decision. my mam and dad collectively did 44 years, falklands, bosnia, N Ireland to name a few tours they did. Mam wouldn't let me go at a soldier, only as an officer. ended up neither.

Know quite a few squaddies and ex squaddies. Some of them, very quickly after they joined up displayed bellend-like behavior. One in particular thought he could take on the world and would regularly get sparked out. Plenty canny lads anarl like

Anyone done it?
Thoughts?
Soldier/Officer?
Tried, failed, lucky escape

Know quite a few squaddies and ex squaddies. Some of them, very quickly after they joined up displayed bellend-like behavior. One in particular thought he could take on the world and would regularly get sparked out. Plenty canny lads anarl like
You spelled 'all' wrong

No, I do know a few who learned from experience and adapted. Someone else mentioned about it giving you confidence...I would say unfounded confidence which gives them more edge than a broken pisspot
I went to school with the quietest kid I'd ever met. He was a big (tall) lad so probably suffered a bit being the freak of the class

Went in the Army and came out thinking he was the bollocks! Some would say it was a good thing, but he went too far the other way

A relative (used to like him despite this ;)) went in when he was 17. Turned into a bell, left after 11 years. Had he just stayed for 1 more year h'd have got his half pension. Hated it that much he couldn't even just put up for one more year. Left Army, was too much of a bell to adapt back to 'civvie life', so.................joined the army and started his 'time' back at ZERO. Knob!

i passed the OTC for the marines and decided last minute to go to uni instead and delay it. sometimes i think i made the wrong decision, far more often i look at what i've done and my freedom to do stuff and i'm happy i made that decision. my mam and dad collectively did 44 years, falklands, bosnia, N Ireland to name a few tours they did. Mam wouldn't let me go at a soldier, only as an officer. ended up neither.

Your Mam wouldn't let you.... ppfffttt

I went to school with the quietest kid I'd ever met. He was a big (tall) lad so probably suffered a bit being the freak of the class

Went in the Army and came out thinking he was the bollocks! Some would say it was a good thing, but he went too far the other way

A relative (used to like him despite this ;)) went in when he was 17. Turned into a bell, left after 11 years. Had he just stayed for 1 more year h'd have got his half pension. Hated it that much he couldn't even just put up for one more year. Left Army, was too much of a bell to adapt back to 'civvie life', so.................joined the army and started his 'time' back at ZERO. Knob!

His pension wouldn't have carried on?

What was he in? He should have stayed in. :lol:

Lot's of people get 'pension trapped' and end up staying in until the 12 or 22 years point.

Last edited by a moderator:

What was he in?

He should have stayed in. :lol:

Lot's of people get 'pension trapped' and end up staying in until the 12 or 22 years point.
No, they wouldn't carry. Something to do with the time he was out, I'm pretty sure it was less than a year, so he hoped they'd honour it. But as I say, he turned into a bell so I had little to do with him when he was out

He was in the REME's as far as I remember. Mechanic if there's such a thing in that reg

No, they wouldn't carry. Something to do with the time he was out, I'm pretty sure it was less than a year, so he hoped they'd honour it. But as I say, he turned into a bell so I had little to do with him when he was out

He was in the REME's as far as I remember. Mechanic if there's such a thing in that reg

Ah, a vehicle mechanic. Did he rejoin the REME as one after that?

He wouldn't have had to have done his basic training and trade training again if he did (I think, especially if it was less than a year of leaving?). Surprised at his reckonable service not carrying on for his pension.

Ah, a vehicle mechanic. Did he rejoin the REME as one after that?

He wouldn't have had to have done his basic training and trade training again if he did (I think, especially if it was less than a year of leaving?). Surprised at his reckonable service not carrying on for his pension.
Well I just assumed they would/had (this was about 8 years ago now) but I was speaking to his Dad the other week and he confirmed

Daft thing is he's now working for the Army, but not in the Army. (firm who help (even the Army outsourcing now) with the mechanics stuff must have poached him). So he wouldn't have even got his pension the second time around. Not a very bright lad, as you can probably imagine

Well I just assumed they would/had (this was about 8 years ago now) but I was speaking to his Dad the other week and he confirmed

Daft thing is he's now working for the Army, but not in the Army. (firm who help (even the Army outsourcing now) with the mechanics stuff must have poached him). So he wouldn't have even got his pension the second time around. Not a very bright lad, as you can probably imagine

He's probably on a fair wedge working for a civilian contractor now though. ;)

Sounds like Babcock who he'd work for now, or similar.

Long time ago my friend, came out in 1983 so things probably different now. Enjoyed it and if you have anything about you, the experience will definitely improve confidence and kinship. You will also get to spot wankers & bullshitters very quickly, they usually fall by the wayside very quickly.
Is the Colchester bit just a coincidence? :lol:

What was he in? He should have stayed in. :lol:

Exactly why I jumped ship at 13! :lol:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back